Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does not return save files to last used folder

Hi,

My irfanview has stopped returning me to the last folder where I saved a file. Instead it pops up with a completely different folder. This means I have to navigate to the folder I want to use everytime I save a file. I am taking lots of photos for my masters thesis with the aquire patch scanning function which works extraordinarily well. The only problem I have encountered is this problem with saving my files. It is taking a lot of extra time since I am saving several thousand photos... I would be thankful for any help on how I might be able to redirect to another default folder or have my irfanview do as it should an return me to the last folder I saved to. This is all I found in the "help" section:
    "Note that Save As comes up in the last directory in which you saved a file. Save comes up in the last (actual) directory from which you loaded an image."

Hope someone can help me...

Thanks!

Gaute Thomassen
    -Msc student at the Centre for Evolutionary and Ecological Synthesis
    -Department of Biology
    -University of Oslo

All you need to do, I think, is Save with S instead of Save as.. with Control S.

This is not a bug. Moved to the support forum.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

This did not solve my problem. My irfanwiev is on a shared computer on the university. When pressing S (not Ctrl + S) to save Irfanwiev returns me to another users folder even though I have saved the last (or the last several hundred) image to my own folder.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Try Properties, Misc2, Set program start folder.

I have no way of checking what happens on a network.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

OK.

I guess it's some sort of network issue then.

Thanks for your help anyway!

Gaute

Comment

Couldn't you ask the administrator of the network to copy the installed version at the server to another folder where only you can reach the program? The copy will work with it's (your) own ini file and your problems will be solved.

Comment

Hi,

I have the same problem, everytime I changed something small with IView, and I don't want to overwrite my original file, the save as dialog opens at a different folder.

It would be nice to have at least an option for staying with the dialog in the source image folder.

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Ctrl+S = Save a file to the source folder.
                S = Save a file to the folder you choosed before (with S).

In i_view32.ini the path to the ?S folder? is being saved under the following section:
                [Copy-Move]
                SaveDir=C:\Temp\

If IrfanView is installed on a server and several users use the same ini-file, this path of course will change. Or, when the administrator has set the read only attribute to the ini-file, this path keeps always the same.

Comment

Hi,

I'm not sure, but I believe in an earlier version if I had saved a file to a different path, this path remained in the memory during the wohle Irfan view session (if I hadn't changed it again). But now I have to navigate to my preferred folder for every save operation. :-(

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Very strange! For when you save a file to a directory, that directory is put in i_view32.ini under the section [Copy-Move]. The same goes for the directory where you lastly opened a file from. That information is kept under the section [Open]. This data remains in the ini-file untill you open a file from another directory/save a file to another directory.

Comment

Hi,

hmmm... I have to check this again... at the moment it is working as it should... now I'm not sure... maybe it happend with batch scanning and not with editing... I'll check it...

Greets, Nils.

Comment

Oh my - I hate to admit it but this thread has educated me on a very basic feature of IV that I never knew existed - after 5 years or so of heavy usage!

I have ALWAYS, always used 'Save As' to save modified images, and thus had to re-navigate to the desired folder each time. I never used 'Save' because I assumed that 'Save' would behave as it does in 99.99% of all programs in windows - that is, it would overwrite the existing image file with the current state of the image in memory, which is the last thing I usually want to have happen.

I would like to recommend/suggest that the menu entry for "Save" be changed to "Save ..." (similar to "Save As ...") where the "..." is a clue to the fact that this entry does not itself take action, but rather, invokes a secondary dialog. That is the standard in windows, I believe.

Comment

Hi gautt,

Originally posted by gautt View Post
                          This did not solve my problem. My irfanwiev is on a shared computer on the university. When pressing S (not Ctrl + S) to save Irfanwiev returns me to another users folder even though I have saved the last (or the last several hundred) image to my own folder.

Any suggestions?
                          I believe the problem is that IrfanView relies on its i_view32.ini and that its is in the installation directory. It is there that the default directorues are stored. Unluckily, it is the same for all users. Limited users can only read it and not write. You might ask your network administrator to make it read/write, but then other people's settings will be written, maybe while you are working (?) and you risk to save your picture at "random" places. The solution is that only you could write the file. See with your network administrator.

Another solution is to install IrfanView on the computer you use.

An other idea again (I don't know if it works) is to ask your network administrator to edit i_view32.ini to set pathes to %HOMEPATH% instead of things like "c:\..." which are directories on the server where IrfanView is installed.

Hope this can help you.

Laurent
                          Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Steerpike View Post
                            I would like to recommend/suggest that the menu entry for "Save" be changed to "Save ..." (similar to "Save As ...") where the "..." is a clue to the fact that this entry does not itself take action, but rather, invokes a secondary dialog. That is the standard in windows, I believe.
                            Well, that depents on the options you've checked in Misc. 1. When you uncheck the option [Ask to overwrite file for ?Save? and ?Save as?], and the option [Display ?Save?-Dialog for ?File->Save?] you get what you've allways expected to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                              Well, that depents on the options you've checked in Misc. 1. When you uncheck the option [Ask to overwrite file for ?Save? and ?Save as?], and the option [Display ?Save?-Dialog for ?File->Save?] you get what you've allways expected to happen.
                              Ah ha! Good point.

So what seems to be missing in IrfanView, then, is a way to have the 'Save As...' function save to the directory where the image was loaded from. This is, to me, the most logical place to save to; or, at least, one of several possibilities.

It may seem un-necessary, since once you set the save as... location to the location you loaded from, it will be remembered, but the problem is that I move around a LOT between image directories, and I always want to 'save as...' to the directory I loaded from, and re-navigating each time is a pain. I've resorted to just saving everything in 'Documents' and then moving them outside of IV with explorer.

I'll start relying on 'Save' now, since it DOES default to the load location, but it's not the most logical approach I don't think!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X