Problems setting associations on new W10 laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems setting associations on new W10 laptop

I've just purchased a brand new W10 laptop. Can someone please give an extensive step-by-step explanation of how to set file associations for the 32-bit zip version? I've been using it for years on my old, seven-year old W10 laptop and never had any problems. I just check the box for try to change registry, click the all images button, click the icons button, click use different icons, click OK, then click OK again. Job done. Didn't even need to run as admin. On this new laptop it's a nightmare. I copied the IV folder from my old laptop and followed the same process but it doesn't work. Four things happen:

1) File associations are set but not for jpg and png. When I go back to settings and check, those boxes have been unchecked.
    2) It 'breaks' the Open With dialog windows for those filetypes and the "Always use this app" option is missing.
    3) It doesn't use different icon for each format even though it's checked.
    4) IrfanView isn't available as an option in default apps.

The only way I could fix the first two problems was to remove the IV entries in the registry for jpg and png, clear all the associations in settings, then set them by ONLY using the open with menu and then "Always use this app". But it still doesn't use the different icons, and still not available in default apps. I've tried the same process running as admin but it's the same result. I've tried a clean version. I've tried the 64-bit version, I've tried the installer versions for both, and it's the same result. The only version that worked was the one from the Microsoft Store but I don't want to use that - I only tried it to compare the results.

New laptops have Windows 11 preinstalled. Registry can no longer be used for setting file associations in Win11. You have to use Default apps or Open with dialog. Not sure if it's pssible to get custom icons wokring. Blame Microsoft.
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
      New laptops have Windows 11 preinstalled.
      Not all of them. As I said, I've just purchased a brand new W10 laptop.

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
      Blame Microsoft.
      Oh yes, I absolutely do ? I was just hoping there was some way around.

Comment

Did you install Irfanview from an .EXE file or .ZIP file or did you use the version from the App Store?
        Either way, you need to start the installation as Admin, and the setting for the file types also need to be done with admin rights.
        Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.67/64
        Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Using registry to set file associaions is unreliable in recent versions of Windows because it conflicts with Windows builtin apps. Installing IrfanView using the EXE installer should solve the problem of IrfanView not showing in default apps.
          My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Thanks everyone, I got it solved by following the message in Options > Extensions to run as admin while setting the file associations.

Comment

Same problem on Windows 11. I just installed irFanView via Exe, went through the steps of file association and selected all images. Now I can't open any images anymore and can't change the file association anymore as the option is missing as described by the OP.

Comment

The file associations in your system are now broken. You ticked the checkbox to set file associations in registry despite the dialog saying you are not supposed to do that on Win10 and Win11.

Now you have to fix it. Follow the instructions in this post:
                I got a new Windows 11 machine. I tried to install Irfanview 4.60 64-bit. The I tried to use Iview to associate jpg files with it. But it didn't work. What happened was now I can no longer associate JPG files with any app since there is no JPG file entry in the control panel for default app file types. Win11 does something

Comment

Working...
                X