Fuzzy scans after resizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuzzy scans after resizing

I have used Irfanview in the past to post postage stamps onto ebay without problem. Recently everything that I scan and resize to ebay's minimum pixel size has ended up too fuzzy to be of any use.

I am not very tech savvy but I have managed to delete and reload both Irfanview and my Canoscan Lide 220 software, I have also read a lot of advice and tried various tips all to no avail.

Although the scanned image is perfect the pixel size is too small for ebay, Could it be that my scanner is faulty?

I would be grateful for any help.

Can you share the original scan? The pixel size is 413 x 500 and the estimated JPG compression is @ 90, which should be good enough, though there is no harm increasing it to 100 as the image filesize is unlikely to be an issue.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi Bhikkhu,
      Thanks for your response, I no longer have that stamp but I enclose one almost the same.

Comment

That is even smaller than the resized one in your first post. It was apparently scanned at 150 dpi.

If you enlarge images a lot, they will get fuzzy. Scan at 600 dpi and resize down to the minimum pixel size allowed by E-bay, or post a larger image. This image was scanned at 2,400 dpi, and resized by 50%. It is still at 2,400 dpi.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1st.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.3 KB ID:	95753
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.09.2022, 08:28 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Look at the image properties for your scan and mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Postage Stamp 2400 dpi.png
Views:	99
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	95756Click image for larger version

Name:	Postage Stamp 150 dpi.png
Views:	87
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	95757

Comment

Thanks Bhikku,

I can see a huge difference between mine and yours, I will have a go at tweaking my scans and let you know what happens.

Comment

Working...
            X