Unable to set file associations during or after installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Unable to set file associations during or after installation

Why are all the extensions highlighted in orange? The images only and select all options is also greyed out. I'm on Win 10 pro 21H2 64 bit build. My installer file is iview460_x64_setup.exe which I think is ver 4.60.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

As the dialog says - after the installation, set IrfanView as your default application for photos in Windows settings.
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

The installation must be started with admin rights.
      If you want to set the file associations later, this also can only be done if you start ItfanView as administrator.
      For normal use you don't nee admin rights.
      Sometimes Win10 will not allow you to set an association, e.g. JFIF or GIF don't work for me.
      Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
      Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
        As the dialog says - after the installation, set IrfanView as your default application for photos in Windows settings.
        Thanks I did that and hopefully that fixed it. What does it mean if the associations are oranged out? Just curious.

Comment

I'm not sure. Probably it means the installer doesn't have access to file associations using the old method used before Windows 10.
          My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Yoe need to activate 'Try to check associations...' before continuing the installation.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch2.png
Views:	117
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	95980

Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
            Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Working...
            X