This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settings not preserved

IrfanView uses a configuration file, i_view32.ini, to save his settings. This file is in its installation directory, usually C:\Program Files\IrfanView.

Operating system like, NT, XP, 2003, Vista... implement security in their NTFS file system. It means that not everybody can write (or even read) a file everywhere. And not everybody can install a program. Users having administrator rights are enabled to do that (install, write). Other users (with limited rights) are only able to read the content of the installation directories.

If IrfanView has been installed by a user logged as an administrator, and is used by a user with limited rights, then this user can only read i_view32.ini and can't write it. The consequence is that the settings of that user will never be saved.

Three workarounds...

1. Log on as an administrator and give limited users the right to write i_view32.ini. The advantage is that it is easy to do. One problem is that the settings one will retrieve are those the last user has saved.

2. A more elegant way is to use IrfanView's command line options. As an administrator, create a shortcut to IrfanView like
    C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe /ini="MyFolder"
    where "MyFolder" is a directory where the concerned user has the right to write. For example
    C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe /ini="%HOMEPATH%"
    The advantage of this method is that each user will have its own ini file. It will be written in
    C:\Documents and Settings\[user logon]\
    To make it easier for the users, this shortcut can be placed in
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\
    or in
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\IrfanView\
    Users should be directed to use this shortcut, and not the one created at the installation of IrfanView.

3. Probably it will work correctly with just these two lines in the file C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.ini:
    [Others]
    INI_FOLDER=%APPDATA%/IrfanView

Laurent
    Last edited by Laurent; 21.12.2008, 10:42 AM.
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.
Working...
X