Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thumbnails: Not all thumbnails are shown!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmed Thumbnails: Not all thumbnails are shown!

Hi,

using the thumbnails-feature in folders that contain i. e. 3.000 images results in only showing thumbnails for nearly the "first" 50% of all images.

Is there a built-in limit or can I adapt a corresponding value somewhere?

Thanks in advance
    testit

There is no limit. You can stop the generation of thumbnails if it is taking too long. There is an option on the Thumbnail Options menu to load all subfolders too. Obviously, that will take a while, but it will eventually complete. Just keep scrolling down.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      There is no limit. You can stop the generation of thumbnails if it is taking too long. There is an option on the Thumbnail Options menu to load all subfolders too. Obviously, that will take a while, but it will eventually complete. Just keep scrolling down.
      Hi,

I don´t want to stop the generation of thumbnails - I want it to finish the process what means to show ALL thumbnails in the certain folder. I just don't see all thumbnails in the thumbnails window on the right. After about 1500 you only see filenames instead of thumbnails!

Kind regards
      testit

Comment

I found the reason for the problem: If I set the thumbnail´s size to > 450x450 then not all thumbnails show up. Is this a bug?

I use sizes > 450x450 because I have a 4K Display.

Kind regards
        testit

Comment

There is no bug as far as I can tell. Generating larger thumbnails obviously takes longer. Generating 1,700 on my old hardware only took a minute or two. Maybe you did not scroll down? There is an option to scroll down automatically when generating thumbnails. If your images are mostly high resolution camera images, then you might try disabling resampling to speed things up.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            There is no bug as far as I can tell. Generating larger thumbnails obviously takes longer. Generating 1,700 on my old hardware only took a minute or two. Maybe you did not scroll down? There is an option to scroll down automatically when generating thumbnails. If your images are mostly high resolution camera images, then you might try disabling resampling to speed things up.
            I tested ALL those things you mention and certainly I waited a long time (is 1h enough?) ;-)

From my point of view it is a bug, because that problem occurs on two different PCs.
            An older one and a power machine with core i7, Radeon and 32GB Ram etc.

Regards
            testit

Comment

Are you using 32-bit IrfanView or the 64-bit version? Here either version works fine, but if your images are large, it may be a RAM issue: 32-bit is limited to using 2Gbytes.

Comment

I am using the 32 Bit version under Windows 10 Prof. 64 Bit.

I will install the 64 Bit version now and report here.

Thanks for your help!

Regards
                testit

Comment

With the 64Bit version the same problem occurs with thumbnail sizes > 500x500!
                  Realtime tracking of the available RAM shows that available RAM is NOT the problem. More than 15 GB still available.

Regards
                  testit

Comment

Since it does not affect me with only 8Gbytes of installed RAM, the problem must lie with the images themselves.

What kind of images are they? Does in occur in other folders? Are there other files in these files like videos ?

Comment

Olympus-RAW-Files (.orf)
                      No, there are not any further video files!

Regards
                      testit

Comment

I have only one *.orf file, but 50 copies create thumbs in no time.

Comment

I mentioned the numbers producing problems above: I am not talking about ridiculous 50 copies but of more than 1500 in a windows folder.

Since the problem can be reproduced on different computers it is obvious probably a bug.

So the only workaround is to set dimension of thumbnails to 500x500 in my system environment although I would prefer 800x800.

Regards
                          testit

Comment

Originally posted by testit View Post
                            Since the problem can be reproduced on different computers it is obvious probably a bug.
                            Then send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan and see if he can reproduce it. See Help, About IrfanView for his address.

Comment

Working...
                            X