Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved IV doesn't view folder of low-color PNGs

Hey guys,

I think this is a bug—but if I'm overlooking something, feel free to move this to another section.

I had some high-contrast, black-and-white images to save, so I used Paint.net's "low-color PNG" option to save them with a maximum of 8 colors, which greatly reduced their file sizes.

But when I open one of the images in IV, then try to view the rest by pressing Spacebar, IV doesn't do anything. It has no trouble opening each image individually, though.

Here's one of the images, in case it helps. Cheers!
    Attached Files

No such issue here. What is your setting in Settings, Browsing/Editing, View other files in folder ?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Also, did you mark Properties > Extensions > PNG? See screenshot Click image for larger version

Name:	IV-Properties_03.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	83369
      Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
      Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        No such issue here...
        Do you mean with PNGs in general? Or low-color PNGs like this one? If you have time, a good test would be to put a few copies of my image in a folder and try to view them.

It happens with thumbnails too. When I open the first image (which it displays normally), then press T, IV opens a blank Thumbnails window that says "0 files"—even though the first file is still open in the main window.

What is your setting in Settings, Browsing/Editing, View other files in folder ?
        "View other files in folder" is selected.

(BTW, shouldn't that be in the "Viewing" section, rather than "Browsing/Editing"? I'm not even sure what "browsing" would be in an image viewer... Thumbnails is the closest thing I can think of. I mean, as far as not reinventing standard computing terms, right?)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
          Also, did you mark Properties > Extensions > PNG?
          Yes—IV is my default viewer for all standard image types.

I now realize IV is behaving this way with all PNGs on my system, not just those I saved with fewer colors.

I don't remember any problems viewing PNGs before. I did just update to v4.54... Could it be an issue with this version? Are the rest of you using 4.54?

Comment

The image that you attached is a JPG, not a PNG.

I cannot reproduce it with PNG images of 8 colours either.
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 08.02.2020, 10:17 PM.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The image that you attached is a JPG, not a PNG.
              Well, the images I have here are definitely PNGs. IV identifies them as PNG in Image/"Information", too.

I guess the forum software converts images to JPG to save space. (Not a great idea in a forum about an image editor, but maybe Irfan has no choice.)

I've posted three of the images here in their original format:

https://i.postimg.cc/N0g5MRT9/02.png
              https://i.postimg.cc/50yy51sf/03.png
              https://i.postimg.cc/wvrv0PrL/04.png

And this is an issue with v4.54—at least on my system. (It's not clear which version the rest of you are using.) I just reinstalled v4.53, and it goes through the PNGs normally.

If I save the same images as GIFs or JPGs, IV 4.54 goes through them normally, too.
              Last edited by Ander; 08.02.2020, 10:26 PM.

Comment

No conversion to JPG when uploading these images.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	02.png
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	83370Click image for larger version

Name:	03.png
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	83371Click image for larger version

Name:	04.png
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	83372

Again, no problem browsing these three images when saved into a folder, but they all have more than 8 colours.

After reducing them to 8 colours, still no problem browsing them.
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 08.02.2020, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Well—I don't know what the heck is going on here. I've reinstalled 4.54, and now it behaves normally! It must have been something else on my system.

So, I'm sorry to take your time on this, and thanks for being willing to help.

Comment

Working...
                  X