Certain GIFs are incompatible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Certain GIFs are incompatible

GIF playback seems like one of the most difficult things for any image viewer to fully perfect. It is my assumption the format must have undergone a whole slew of divergent standards for determining playback speed and other defining factors, making it rather difficult to track them all down and support them all. I just wanted to share this GIF I know doesn't work properly in IrfanView, in the event there's anything you can do about it. While JPEGView and XnView MP are capable of playing this, several more viewers each render a unique series of beautiful seizure inducing glitches from it. I have second GIF which is NSFW that plays insanely fast in everything including JPEGView, but plays perfectly in XnView MP or Firefox. PM me if you're interested in it for testing purposes. I won't get into why I don't like XnView, but I assume it's been able to update some playback engine to closest mirror what present day Firefox is capable of. So please look into that.

If you search the forum you will find numerous threads about faulty animated gifs.

I have come to the conclusion that if animated gifs are your thing, you should use a dedicated animation program to view and edit them.

Most bug reports turn out to be faults with the GIF and not with IrfanView so I don't usually send bug reports to Irfan Skiljan about them.

Please read the sticky threads and fill in your forum profile.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I shouldn't be surprised this has come up before, and apologize if my feedback isn't useful. Can I just put it this way though. I don't think it would be impossible for IrfanView to improve and update its GIF compatibility. Other programs show it is possible, but IrfanView is so close to being the most responsive program which does everything in a cleaner, more tasteful manner than other viewers. If it increased GIF support I would far prefer to use it to anything else. I'd hate to have to associate those to just any competing software or browser or overkill editor. While it maybe true that some GIFs can be said to technically contain errors, we know based on Firefox and some projects that aren't nearly as complicated it is objectively possible to overcome these. It would mean a lot if IrfanView worked out how. Fact: It would be the most enjoyable way to view them.

I'm wondering if the GIF standard has anything similar to the JPEG standard where for instance it's been possible for IrfanView to accomplish JPEG 7 support and could even eventually support JPEG 9 data, thanks I presume to the JPEG project having a fairly good reference of libraries.

I will let this issue rest if you must blame the images rather than the player, but I would highly encourage you guys to see the possibilities. I think generally speaking this (viewing a wide variety of images from a computer) is a medium where the greater compatibility you can offer it is highly beneficial to everyone. People have collections of images that are special to them and the best programs should do everything they can to play them back without anything breaking. I'd love to see some determination rather than the notion that you should just abandon this and use something else.
      Last edited by Pixel Eater; 02.04.2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Irfanview's animated images support is full of problems, it needs to be rewritten from the scratch, that's the truth.

Comment

Please read the sticky thread on Reporting Bugs
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
          X