crop paste function different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crop paste function different

Before version 4.27 I used to be able to crop, paste and the image was replaced with what I cropped.

I now have an extra step of pressing D before this action to delete the image.

Is this something that can be considered changing back to or was it necessary for something new to work?

Last edited by Sam_Zen; 14.05.2010, 12:10 AM.
    Dell Studio 435T Core i7 950 ~ Windows 7 64 bit ~ Irfanview 4.27

I do not understand. Crop has never put anything onto the clipboard AFAIK, so there is nothing to paste.

Comment

I meant crop, cut and and paste.
      Last edited by Merlinhoot; 13.05.2010, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, Merlinhoot. I guess that by Crop, you mean marking out a portion of the picture.

I forget how IrfanView 4.25 behaved with the 'Crop-Cut-Paste' action you mention, though it was the latest version until a few days ago... Under 4.27, one needs to open a second instance of IrfanView (or, as you mention, clear the current IrfanView instance), to paste the cut portion of the image.

To me, this seems to be the right way of working with a 'Cut-Paste' operation, since IrfanView does not support Layers. With a program such as PhotoShop (even the humble Windows Paint), you can paste the cut portion to the original image and move it across the original image, since they work with different layers.

My guess is therefore that the change is to make such an operation 'standard' and that it is unlikely to be reversed.
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

OK Merlinhoot. I think I see what you are doing now, but why? You could have got there with just the single crop.
          To be able to paste directly after a cut as in v4.25 is dangerous because you lose, without warning, the rest of the image that you have cut the hole in.
          Some might expect that Paste would just replace the piece that you have cut out back into the hole. I would imagine that is why you are no longer permitted to do it.

Comment

irfanview has come a long way and I embrace where it is going even if I have to hit the D key as a extra step now.

I use to open photoshop to do what irfanview does now. Thanks for your answers.

BTW I keep up to date w/ filehippo.com

Comment

If I understand correctly, you want to paste the cropped image as a new image? That seems roundabout. I would just save-as.

I see that there are some new selection tricks available. There seems to be more selection persistence; I have to play with it.
              Its: Belongs to "It"
              It's: Shortened form of "It is"
              ---------------------
              Lose: Fail to keep
              Loose: Not tight

---------------------
              Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Seeing it before saving is prudent, n'est-ce pas?

Comment

If you select an area and use cut or copy and paste for cropping, you had done more steps than really necessary. Have a look at the edit menu, you may use "Crop selection" (or CTRL-Y shortcut).
                  In version 4.27 the selecting frame is not removed after cut or copy. I don't know how it was in 4.25, I use the CTRL-Y key since years... ;-)

Comment

That is the difference between 4.25 and 4.27 derniwi. In 4.25 the selection disappears after the Cut operation. So when you Paste, the cut section replaces the current image.
                    Now in 4.27 the selection remains after the Cut operation. So if you Paste without removing the selection then the cut section just gets pasted back where it came from.

I notice that in 4.27, if I do remove the selection after the Cut by clicking on the image outside of it and then try to Paste, I now get a "Do you want to save" warning before the original image is replaced by the pasted image. I do not get one if I delete the image using the D key though.

Yes Matera, we do seem to have the selection retained in most cases even during zooming. What we were asking for only a day or two ago. That is quick service.
                    I am sorry if it means an extra keystroke for you Merlinhoot although I still do not understand why you are doing what you have described.

Comment

Merlin,
                      You've got 2 options:
                      a) Select the region you want and press ctrl+Y
                      b) Select the region (as you are doing now), ctrl+X, the ctrl+A and then ctrl+V

Save to a new file.

Comment

Working...
                      X