Checker as backround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Checker as backround

It would be nice to have checker as background when viewing images with transparency. Setting custom color is fine, but choosing right color which is suitable for every image is impossible. Option to draw checker as background would be great - this is widely used way to display transparent images in many other applications and its implementation wouldn't be so difficult. Base checker could be enough, but option to setup both colors and size would be nice too.

PNG Transparency Ideals

Hello, as of version 4.42, i notice the lack of proper alpha channel handling on PNG images. If I may, I suggest that adding an option to preserve the Alpha channel then saving the image.
    Additionally I think should be implemented is an option to have the classic checker board pattern as the background for all transparency supported images.
    And Lastly, (which i believe has already been mentioned) the ability to preserve/dither the alpha along with decreasing the color depth.

I have used other editors/viewers out there, but none seem to have the dithering quality as IrfanView, your implementation is perfect imo.

Comment

Due to the format that IrfanView uses, proper 32-bit support is difficult.

Originally posted by Irfan Skiljan
      For the big things on the TODO list: I will first try to fix the Paint plugin crahes (on some systems), then try to port IrfanView to unicode ... they are very important things, important for many users.
      Layers are nice, for some users, but later.
      At 12:43 20.06.2016, Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
      Dear Irfan Skiljan

I realise your ToDo is long. I am just trying to manage expectations at this end so that users don't get frustrated. I am very happy with IrfanView. It does all that I need and more. I use other apps for editing 32-bit images.

I will pass on the message that Toolbars might be expanded, but that 32-bit PNG transparency may take much longer.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Biatu View Post
        Hello, as of version 4.42, i notice the lack of proper alpha channel handling on PNG images. If I may, I suggest that adding an option to preserve the Alpha channel then saving the image.
        Version 4.42 is no different in regard to the alpha channel than the previous issues as far as I know, Biatu. The alpha channel has never been held as a layer, which is what Irfan Skiljan is referring to in his response to Bhikkhu Pesala's forwarded request.

Instead the alpha channel is merged with the image when the file is opened. The transparency has already been applied to the image by the time that you are ready to save the file again. So what is the point of saving the original Alpha channel with the modified image, if that is what you are asking to do? You can at present extract and save the original alpha channel as a file using Image> Show Channel> Alpha> Save As.. and then Undo to return to the image but I have never found anything very useful to do with my saved alpha channel file.

If you could choose to retain the original R, G, B and alpha channels and modify them all together in the same way (resize, rotate, crop, etc.), you could then usefully save them all as a new file. There are many editing operations for the R,G,B channels though where it is not at all obvious what needs to be done with the alpha channel, so I can understand why Irfan may not want to go there.
        Last edited by Mij; 06.10.2016, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Representation of transparency with checkerboard pattern

Hi there,

it would be nice, if the transparency (e.g. in PNG files) could be represented by checkerboard patterns (like in Adobe Photoshop)
          With dark pictures it is difficult to see whether it is transparency or not

Comment

As a workaround, you can set the Viewing -> Main window color in preferences to something slightly different from black, such as dark red. Another good small viewer that does support transparency is FastStone.

Adding alpha support to editing operations would be somewhat tricky. During scaling, pixels should contribute according to their level of visibility. Independent processing of the channels will give unsatisfactory results, such as bleeding of color around a transparent shape from previously invisible regions.

Comment

Working...
            X