Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejected Separate fill for arrow tool and rectangle tool

Hi!
    I'm working with a lot of screenshots as QA and one thing is extremely annoying (for me) with F12 tools / paint mode.

When I want to make a rectangle selection I have to uncheck fill and if I have to use arrow tool for making an arrow on some elements, I have to check it again because arrow unfilled is not looking good.

Everyday I'm loosing a lot of time manually changing those two tools and fill checkbox. Many times I have to undo changes because the tool that I needed was in the wrong "mode".

Is there any chance to separate fill into those two tools? For example, arrow will be filled in default and when I change tool to rectangle tool, fill will be automatically unchecked?
    I'll loved that one simple feature.

By the way, I'm with IrfanView since I remember (I'm 27).

Best regards!
    Adam
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 16.05.2019, 10:03 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

The IrfanPaint plugin developer has moved on to other projects. He has released the source code if others want to improve it. I don't see it happening though. Nothing has changed since he stopped development in about 2010, except that Irfan Skiljan fixed some crashes.

I recommend using a more powerful tool such as FastStone Capture for annotating screenshots. Version 5.3 was the last freeware version. It has most of the tools that you would need.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you for reply with explanations and link!

Kindly regards,
      adamo000

Comment

Other arrow drawing tools

Originally posted by adamo000 View Post
        Thank you for reply with explanations and link!

Kindly regards,
        adamo000
        @adamo000 did you try "FastStone Capture"?

Irfanview+irfanpaint covers 95% of my needs, but the same thing annoys me too - snap!. I would also add that having smoother arrow head and angled lines (= IIRC using something like well known Boyle's Forward-Looking Smoothing Algorithm in Irfanpaint for arrow and line creation) would be on my wishlist. The other thing on my wish list is the cut and paste feature like the behaviour of copy and paste found in windows mspaint. I still need to use MSpaint to merge in a copied block without using original pasted block's height and width. Tools like Gimp and Photoshop are a bit of overkill for my needs. I suppose these features wont get built into Irfanview feature set. I wont ask for any of that now that I know Irfanpaint's feature development is "paused" waiting for a knight in shining armour :-)

The link to FSCapture v5.3 is mentioned on https://www.softerviews.org/FastStone.html rather than the link to download from the home page for FSCapture. https://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm. Reading the developers notes on the latter link, version 5.3 was released 2007.

@Bhikkhu Pesala any chance you looked at "FastStone Image Viewer" (no licence for non-commercial users, https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm) rather than "FastStone Capture". It feature list mentions "Draw texts, lines, highlights, rectangles, ovals and callout objects on images". I will look into it later to clarify if "lines" feature means arrows.

I looked at the online / pdf manual at https://www.faststone.org/FSCTutorial.htm, for current release of "FSCapture" did not see much about drawing arrows, but given the graphic examples on the web pages I have looked at it certainly does do it. Skimming feature descriptions a lot of "FastStone Image Viewer", it is probably overlaps part of the larger "FastStone Capture" feature set. I do a lot when documenting software problems, so I am only looking for a faster and better way to add a text box connected with a better looking arrow into an existing image, and for everything else Irfanview is my first choice. I will explore both these tools more when I get time.
        Last edited by ScottR; 10.06.2020, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottR View Post
          @Bhikkhu Pesala any chance you looked at "FastStone Image Viewer" (no licence for non-commercial users, https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm) rather than "FastStone Capture". Its feature list mentions "Draw texts, lines, highlights, rectangles, ovals and callout objects on images". I will look into it later to clarify if "lines" feature means arrows.
          My Software Reviews site also has a page for FastStone Viewer

FastStone Capture is only $20 for a lifetime license, so if you use it a lot, or for any commercial work, the price is well worth it. I live on charity, but I still have a licensed version because I use it constantly, and create video tutorials for my website.

FastStone Viewer does have the tools for drawing lines/arrows, but images can be opened in FastStone Capture from Explorer with right-click, open with. I never use FastStone Viewer, but it has fewer tools for drawing, e.g. no automatic counter.
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 10.06.2020, 07:34 AM.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
          X