Improvements to Fixed Grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Improvements to Fixed Grid

I find the Fixed Grid very useful in accurate cropping, so I would like there to be a dedicated hotkey for it. At present, I sometimes use a separate hotkey program to simulate that.

The Fixed Grid is a trifle "heavy," tending to obscure the underlying image. Please, would it be possible to set the Fixed Grid to be whatever colour and transparency the user wanted?

I also wondered if it would be possible, or even make sense, for the Fixed Grid to adapt to the underlying image, i.e. to change to inverse video, or inverse colour, to the part of the image it lies on top of. That could look a little wild, though.

This is a user-to-user forum. Irfan Skiljan, the developer of IrfanView, is not involved. You may want to send your request or suggestion to him.
    When you view a picture goto 'Help > About IrfanView' for his mail address.

You can set the the grid lines to whatever color you like. In the menu go to Options > Properties/Settings. In the Properties/Settings-Window goto Browsing / Editing.
    In the Editing: section you can activate to set a color of your choice. Some lines below that you can also set the grid size.
    Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
      This is a user-to-user forum. Irfan Skiljan, the developer of IrfanView, is not involved. You may want to send your request or suggestion to him.
      When you view a picture goto 'Help > About IrfanView' for his mail address.
      I know, but I thought the forum was used as a filter to avoid sending him too many one-off requests.

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
      You can set the the grid lines to whatever color you like. In the menu go to Options > Properties/Settings. In the Properties/Settings-Window goto Browsing / Editing.
      In the Editing: section you can activate to set a color of your choice. Some lines below that you can also set the grid size.
      I should have looked for that myself... apologies. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I see the Color choice dialog says 'Color/Solid' for the chosen colour; is there a way to change transparency as well, please?

Comment

It helps a lot to discuss bugs/feature requests here before sending an email to Irfan Skiljan. More often than not, the feature request has been made before, or the feature already exists, perhaps in some slightly different form.

The bitmap format that IranView uses is 24-bit, so until that changes, a semi-transparent grid is not an option. The grid lines are only 1 pixel so they cannot get any less heavy except by choosing a lighter shade of grey.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          The bitmap format that IranView uses is 24-bit, so until that changes, a semi-transparent grid is not an option. The grid lines are only 1 pixel so they cannot get any less heavy except by choosing a lighter shade of grey.
          OK, thanks. I'm surprised the lines are only 1 pixel, as they seem so bold, but if that's the way it is...

I was going to ask for a way of cropping to fixed (i.e., standard paper) sizes, but I see that's already here Edit > Create custom crop selection (and related)

Comment

Working...
          X