Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is is possible to control autonumbering of "Save As..." file names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is is possible to control autonumbering of "Save As..." file names?

A common operation I repeat is to grab a screen shot, past it into IrfanView, press "S" to bring up the "Save As..." dialog and then accept the default name assigned to the file (Clipboard01, Clipboard02, Clipboard03, ...) dumping the files into a common folder.

If I close IrfanView and then later want to resume the process, IrfanView will restart the numbering of the file names at "01" when, I as a user, would rather they pick up where I left off. Within the file dialog I manually change the "01" to the correct sequence number and save the file. I go on to grab the next screen shot and when I go to save it IrfanView next wants to use "02" so I again have to manually change the number.

Can this process be controlled so that I can specify where the auto-numbering starts?

There is no autonumbering option when using Save As.

You might like to look at a Feature request that I posted here last year for a Custom Save/Rename feature which would allow an image to be saved with the option to include any of the actions that are possible in Irfanview's Batch Conversion/Rename feature. Batch Conversion/Rename does offer autonumbering that can be set to continue the number sequence from the last time it was used. So the feature I proposed would, amongst many other uses, enable you to do what you describe. I did not get enough support for the feature from other users though, so I did not pursue it.

Don't despair though. You will see that, in the Feature request thread, Derniwi points out that if you have saved the images (under default names), you can then use the existing Batch Conversion/Rename feature to perform actions such as renaming. I have attached 2 screenshots below as an example of the sort of dialog settings you might use in the existing dialog.

In the example I assumed that you saved four Clipboard images in a folder called "Temp" in your first session, as files "Clipboard01" to "Clipboard04". Then you ran a Batch Conversion/Rename process starting from Index number 1 which moved those files to the "Renamed" sub-folder giving them names "Image copy 001" to "Image copy 004".
    You are now in a second Irfanview session and have saved two further files which will be "Clipboard01" and "Clipboard02" again because it is a new session. In screenshot 1 you have opened your Batch Conversion/Rename dialog again. The Index number is now 5 because you had the box called "Remember last rename counter (set as start)" checked.
    The second screenshot shows the result of running the batch the second time. The two new files have been moved to the "Renamed" sub-folder as "Image copy 005" and "Image copy 006".

If you want to use the Batch conversion/rename dialog for some other purpose between your sessions you can save your settings as a Profile (I have called it "Clipboard copies" in the screenshot) and then Load that again next time you need it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi! I am very sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but I came across this as I was googling trying to find an answer. I see at the bottom of this post here:

that numbering was added (###), but I'm wondering please, is there a way to get it to start at a certain number when doing captures? I see that you can pick a number to start at in the GUI in the images above posted by Mij for doing batch conversions. Is there a way to set up the capture options, under where it says: "Save captured image as file:" with a parameter to get it to start at a certain number? I already have a bunch of images in folder that I've been manually naming for a long time. So let's say the last one I saved is "Filename 069.png", now - I have already archived the first 50 images to a different location. If I put in "Filename ###" in the "Save captured image as file:" area of the capture options, irfanview will save as "Filename 001.jpg", is there any parameters or some way to get it to start at 070? ie. "Filename 070.jpg", and then onward from there? Thank you in advance for any help!!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeShmo View Post
        Is there a way to set up the capture options, under where it says: "Save captured image as file:" with a parameter to get it to start at a certain number?
        Not that I know of. IrfanView simply keeps count until you restart the program, then it restarts at 001 again.

Try FastStone Capture. Version 5.3 is free and is much more powerful than IrfanView for this task. You can reset the filename numbering, or set it to start at any number.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Filename Settings.png
Views:	1
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	83283
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It is quite hard to remember 5 years on why I answered the way I did especially when it contained references to other posts which were even older. What I had been trying to persuade Irfan Skiljan to do is clearly never going to be implemented so it is not worth resurrecting that way of doing it.

Like Bhikkhu Pesala I would recommend that you use a different image capture program that does do what you want. I have used PicPick for many years myself. Picpick is still available and can be used free of charge for non business purposes, just like Irfanview. It achieves what you want to do, not by specifying what index number to start with, but by always applying the next available index number to accompany the file name being saved.
          For example I have just changed the filename to June and it will start with June001 and after that always apply the lowest available number. So as long as I do not delete any of the files the index will just increase by one for every capture I make until I change the name to something else. I can change the name whenever I need to and automatically start the indexing at 001 again for that name, but if I change the name back to June it will pick up the numbering from where it left off.

Comment

As an alternate workaround, you could stick with IrfanView and then use something like "Bulk Rename Utility". It has a very cluttered interface, but I've found it very powerful and useful.

Added: Just as a quick example, since this isn't a BulkRenameUtility forum: If you already have a bunch of image files named Clipboard01 through Clipboard69, and you want to save an additional 10, then save them while easily prefixing them with "2", ie 2Clipboard01 ... 2Clipboard10. Then start BulkRenameUtility, set Remove-First to 1 (gets rid of the first character, "2"), Remove-Last to 2 (gets rid of the last two "wrong" characters, 01 through 10), Numbering-Mode to suffix, and Numbering-Start to 70 (adds 70, 71, ... at the end of the new files).
            Last edited by Arthoven; 28.06.2019, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X