Image redraw speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Image redraw speed

Irfanview has very slow image redrawing speed. I'd say slowest of all known programs to me. So that it's more convinient for me to scroll big images in Opera for example.
    I'm afraid Irfan doesn't use any 2D acceleration supported by video adapters (even oldest ones) and Windows GUI. I think it's essential for image viewing app to use 2D acceleration instead of relaying on powerful CPU. So please please please guys, why don't you implement it?
    Yes
    66.67%
    No
    33.33%

I don't think hardware acceleration has anything to do with the issue. Large images scroll slowly in IrfanView due to the scroll wheel steps being too small.

There is no problem if you use the scroll bar or pan with the right mouse button.

I just use shortcut F to zoom to fit, and marquee select, click to zoom in to any area of interest.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

...or uncheck Jump to next image if Page keys or mouse wheel used ... in Misc. 1 options and hold down Home, End, Page Up or Page Down keys to fast scroll. As Bhikkhu Pesala says it is not the IrfanView redraw speed that is the problem just the slow scroll speed when using the arrow keys.
      Last edited by Mij; 15.04.2009, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I do have to agree here that scroll speed is definitely an issue. Even XnView (freeware) offers an adjustable scroll step and custom controls.

However, no program has the grace and performance of ACDSee, which offers an unbelievably fast and smooth scroll. You can even change the speed of it by using a modifier key. Arrow keys provide normal speed, while Shift+arrow slows it down, and Ctrl+arrow sends you flying without any stutter. ACDSee has of course grown considerably in size over the years, and I do like version 3.1, which is significantly lighter. Although, it is shareware.

If you are looking for better scrolling you might try FastStone Image Viewer (freeware), which is fairly good using the mouse wheel and has customized controls. It even offers a nifty navigator, like the pan and zoom kind you'd find in a PDF Viewer. So, you can really move around an image with ease. Here is an example of the navigator, as seen in the freeware program FastStone MaxView 2.1:

Navigator

Comment

Scrolling speed is definitely an issue, but maybe it can be solved without using 2D acceleration (that should be already somehow exploited by the normal Windows GDI functions).
          Just a curiosity of mine: could anybody with a slow machine compare the scrolling speed of IrfanView with IrfanPaint (the version included with IV 4.23) opened and closed (keeping always the resample option off)?
          IrfanPaint developer
          The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
          IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
            could anybody with a slow machine compare the scrolling speed of IrfanView with IrfanPaint (the version included with IV 4.23) opened and closed (keeping always the resample option off)?
            How slow is slow?

I've noticed that different hardware and settings in Control Panel do make a difference. For example, the mouse is always faster than the arrow keys. And a touch pad can be a little different than a wheel. Of course, changing these settings is not great, since they are global. More control should be given in the program, like other applications have done.

If I change the scroll wheel to scroll one screen at a time, IrfanView or Paint are quite quick and clear. Auto Scroll is also very fast, the more you move the pointer up or down from the initial click point.

When using the scroll by # of lines option, more lines does enhance speed, but not considerably. I've also noticed these things while using this setting, too:
            If you move the pointer out of the image area while scrolling, the speed picks up and is smoother. This does not happen with Paint activated though.

In general, IrfanView does seem slower and more stuttered than Paint, but Paint is blurrier when scrolling. This happens both when using the mouse wheel and arrows keys.

Comment

The issue i pointed has nothing to do with scrolling speed: Faster scrolling, Smooth Scrolling feature request.
              Instead, with redrawing speed - IrfanView's graphical performance.

While redrawing of the picture (while panning/scrolling by any method) in IrfanView is painfully slow on an Pentium 250 MMX computer ACDSee is fast and smooth. Yeah, modern processors are much faster and this issue is less noticable, but faster computers is not an excuse to write less efficient and resource hogging software.

For now i stopped on Imagine. It has somewhat faster redrawing, better (sharper) viewing resample function (antialias), customizable controls, small footprint. And interface is similar to Irfan's.
              Last edited by Slider2k; 16.04.2009, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slider2k View Post
                The issue i pointed has nothing to do with scrolling speed: Faster scrolling, Smooth Scrolling feature request.
                Instead, with redrawing speed - IrfanView's graphical performance.
                AFAIK it's strictly related to it, since the major bottleneck for scrolling is redrawing.
                While redrawing of the picture (while panning/scrolling by any method) in IrfanView is painfully slow on an Pentium 250 MMX computer ACDSee is fast and smooth. Yeah, modern processors are much faster and this issue is less noticable, but faster computers is not an excuse to write less efficient and resource hogging software.
                Maybe the trick is to not redraw the image (StretchDIBits/StretchBlt) but just copy the already painted area and add only the just shown pixels from the image. I may work on this, IrfanPaint is happy with a better redrawing speed, since every mouse move with most of the tools imply a redraw of the area interested by the change.
                In general, IrfanView does seem slower and more stuttered than Paint, but Paint is blurrier when scrolling. This happens both when using the mouse wheel and arrows keys.
                Maybe it's because it's faster?
                IrfanPaint developer
                The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
                IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
                  Maybe it's because it's faster?
                  Yes, perhaps, but I don't think it necessarily has to be blurrier because it is faster. Maybe it is the increment of scrolling. Like I said, scrolling one screen at a time is clear. ACDSee is also clear, despite being so fast. I can actually read words as it goes by, but with Paint it is more difficult. Auto Scroll is blurry when it is scrolling slower like Paint, but once it speeds up, it gets a whole lot clearer. Some of it could be the display response time, but I don't know since the software and graphics could be using different approaches here.

Is faster scrolling generally clearer?
                  Can some kind of pixel doubling, interlacing, or other illusion be utilized?

Comment

The blurring does not seem to be down to IrfanView but to Windows. If you take any window, press Alt+Space and then M, you can move the window slowly across the screen with the arrow keys. As it moves you see exactly the same blurring as when scrolling in IrfanView. I found it especially noticeable with a Notepad window containing text.

Comment

Working...
                    X