Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to change the background of this photograph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to change the background of this photograph?

Friends at the outset, I must say that I simply love Irfan View!
    I am using v4.10.

And I just recently discovered Irfan Paint v 0.4.11.64!
    which is a fantastic addition!

Thanks to all you wizards for both these programs!

Need some help ...

Here is a picture of a heroine from India.

I want to remove EVERYTHING in the background behind her -
    I want to remove ALL the people aimlessly hanging around her
    and have a plain simple white background!

How can I do that with Irfan Paint?

I tried doing it but it is a painfully slow process using the brush
    and it is difficult to draw an accurate line around the heroine's bulging curves!

I have a feeling that there are easier ways to do it. Could you please help?

Would appreciate any tricks from experts here!

Thanks in advance and all good wishes!

Me Paparazzi

I think that IrfanPaint is not the right tool, you should use something more advanced like the GIMP.
    IrfanPaint developer
    The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
    IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

I think it will be tricky whatever program you use because you have a very fussy background with colors almost the same as in the foreground.
      I did try the color replacer tool in Irfanpaint on your picture but ended up doing a great deal of manual touching up especially around her hair and that right arm that has another arm behind it. You would probably have the same problems in Gimp or Photopaint trying to create masks with the Magic wand tool and might have to resort to more advanced methods there.

One tip if you do try painting in the background by hand in Irfanpaint is to use the Erase tool instead of the brush. If you load the background color you want as the IP background color you can paint the background using the left mouse button and repair the subject when you paint too far using the right button. Working from both sides of the boundary like this allows you lots of trial and error to see what works best for you. I get best results using quite a large brush, myself. Avoid using Undo though if you are working this way. Use the right button instead to erase.

Comment

Try also PhotoFiltre and see this german description: "Colorkey mit PhotoFiltre"!

Comment

Well, some workarounds can be done, but in fact IrfanView is not capable of this.
          As said, the background is too fuzzy, with colors too close to those of the object, so the 'fill' function can't work.
          You'll need some paint program with the ability to make a point-to-point selection manually.
          Then wipe the outside region of the selection to be converted to a white background.
          Like this raw example :
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I had a try in IrfanView using the 8BF filter GML Matting. It was still hard work.

Try to get her picture with a nice plain background next time Mepaparazzi.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Mij; 07.06.2009, 05:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach image

Comment

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
              I think that IrfanPaint is not the right tool, you should use something more advanced like the GIMP.
              Thanks MItaly!

My whole purpose is to really stretch the Irfan Paint tool!

Originally posted by Mij View Post
              I think it will be tricky whatever program you use because you have a very fussy background with colors almost the same as in the foreground.
              I did try the color replacer tool in Irfanpaint on your picture but ended up doing a great deal of manual touching up especially around her hair and that right arm that has another arm behind it. You would probably have the same problems in Gimp or Photopaint trying to create masks with the Magic wand tool and might have to resort to more advanced methods there.

One tip if you do try painting in the background by hand in Irfanpaint is to use the Erase tool instead of the brush. If you load the background color you want as the IP background color you can paint the background using the left mouse button and repair the subject when you paint too far using the right button. Working from both sides of the boundary like this allows you lots of trial and error to see what works best for you. I get best results using quite a large brush, myself. Avoid using Undo though if you are working this way. Use the right button instead to erase.
              I had a try in IrfanView using the 8BF filter . It was still hard work.

Try to get her picture with a nice plain background next time Mepaparazzi.
              Thanks for the SUPER effort Mij! I think it looks quite nice!

Will get some more pics of this babe too!

Originally posted by Frank View Post
              Try also PhotoFiltre and see this german description: "Colorkey mit PhotoFiltre"!
              Sorry Frank dont really know German!
              Anything translated in English please?

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
              Well, some workarounds can be done, but in fact IrfanView is not capable of this.
              As said, the background is too fuzzy, with colors too close to those of the object, so the 'fill' function can't work.
              You'll need some paint program with the ability to make a point-to-point selection manually.
              Then wipe the outside region of the selection to be converted to a white background.
              Like this raw example :

Another awesome effort Sam_Zen! You guys are simply FABULOUS like IrfanView and Irfan Paint! All power to you!

I have been toying with the idea of vignetting the background. Something like what is explained in this tutorial.

Is that possible and may be it is easier to do?

Comment

Originally posted by mepaparazzi View Post
                My whole purpose is to really stretch the Irfan Paint tool!

I have been toying with the idea of vignetting the background. Something like what is explained in this tutorial.

Is that possible and may be it is easier to do?
                There is no vignetting feature in IrfanView itself but again there are 8BF filters that can be installed to do this sort of work. There is one mentioned on this forum thread. Give it a try.

Comment

Auto-selection point-to-point of a certain area can be done in two ways, if a certain range of colors is concerned.
                  As the fill function does with a certain tolerance.

Sometimes the area outside of the object is easier to select.
                  Sometimes the colours of the object itself have more unique consistency.
                  As PSP has, a resulted selection of in- or outside area can be reversed in function as area.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

hi there Sam_Zen, hello Mij and Mepapparazzi,

grat thread. It shows what can be done with the great irvanview. Now i try to get the plugins.

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                    Auto-selection point-to-point of a certain area can be done in two ways, if a certain range of colors is concerned. As the fill function does with a certain tolerance.
                    i grabbed the tool - the GML Matting 8BF filter
                    i downloaded so far the - saw that i have no Adobe-part of Plugin-folder. How to create that one!?

look forward to hear from you

thx in advance

regards
                    joo

Comment

My sub-folder Adobe 8BF was created for me in Irfanview's Plugins folder, presumably by the installer program.

If you have not got one, I assume that you can just create a sub-folder called Adobe 8BF in the Plugins folder to put your Adobe compatible 8BFs into.
                      I do have other sub-folders called Crw, Ecw, Filter Factory 8BF and Fmod so am unsure if anything residing in any of those might be relevant to Adobe 8BFs. I do recall reading something about the Fmod.dll file that lives in Fmod but cannot remember what that was all about.

Can anyone confirm that?

Comment

many thanks

hello good evening Mij

many thanks for the great support.

hmm - i will try it now. I try to create it manually - but if i fail - perhaps you can send me the folders in a zip file!? IS this possible!?

My sub-folder Adobe 8BF was created for me in Irfanview's Plugins folder, presumably by the installer program.
                        If you have not got one, I assume that you can just create a sub-folder called Adobe 8BF in the Plugins folder to put your Adobe compatible 8BFs into. Can anyone confirm that?
                        well i downloaded so far - saw that i have no Adobe-part of Plugin-folder. How to create that one!?

as i do not know how to add the mentioned 8BF filters i did a search and i found some additional infos at http://www.irfanview.com/

Available PlugIns and current versions:

well should i download the stuff at the http://www.irfanview.com/ and install it - and afterwards get the stuff from here and put the 8BF into the Adobe part.

look forward to hear from you

joo

in case of failing: can send me the folders in a zip file!? IS this possible!?

Comment

If you have not got one, I assume that you can just create a sub-folder called Adobe 8BF in the Plugins folder to put your Adobe compatible 8BFs into.
                          I do have other sub-folders called Crw, Ecw, Filter Factory 8BF and Fmod so am unsure if anything residing in any of those might be relevant to Adobe 8BFs. I do recall reading something about the Fmod.dll file that lives in Fmod but cannot remember what that was all about.

Can anyone confirm that?
                          Looks right to me. Everything is right here, including the Adobe 8BF folder.

Fmod.dll is for playing OGG Vorbis audio. IrfanView can't play .OGG files?
                          Last edited by Skippybox; 12.06.2009, 04:52 PM.

Comment

OK joo. Here is your best course of action.
                            Go to the official Irfanview site (www.irfanview.com) and download Item 3 , iv_effects.zip
                            That has all that you need for the 3 groups of filters that are supported - Adobe 8BF, Filter factory and Filters unlimited. Unzip the folder and copy everything from it (files and folders) into Irfanview Plugins. Some of them may already be there but you will then be sure you have the latest versions and you will have a folder to put your Adobe 8BF files into. There are already a few in there.
                            Do not bother about that stuff lower down the Irfanview site about supporting older 8BF filters. That downloads 2 old files Plugin.dll and Msvcrt10.dll. I do not have them installed and have never yet encountered any 8BFs that appear to need them.

Comment

Hmm, first learn how to create a directory on your system, instead of letting it done by the aliens..

The subdirs 'Adobe 8BF' and 'Filter Factory 8BF' are created default by the installations of the plugins packages.
                              This doesn't mean that every new Adobe-compatible plugin must reside in the 'Adobe 8BF' subdir.

It could be just any sub of the plugins-dir. Many times there are several plugins in a package,
                              so it's better for the survey to have them together in the same folder.
                              Aside to dir 'Adobe 8BF', but also as a subdir in it. Ctrl+K gives the opportunity to browse to whatever.
                              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                              X