No announcement yet.

Zoom with scroll wheel, AND go through an album with left and right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Zoom with scroll wheel, AND go through an album with left and right

I know there has been a thread not too long ago asking for scroll-zooming to be implemented (without the need to hold ctrl), but there has to be a way to make it possible without also disabling directory browsing (by disabling "view other files in directory). I just want to be able to zoom with only the scrollwheel and go through an album with left and right keys - just like the photo viewer for windows 7.

Have you tried "Lock modifier keys" which is part of Windows 10. You activate it via "Ease of access" settings. There are several ways of getting there depending on your setup.

If you have a Windows key on your keyboard press Win key+X and choose "Settings" then "Ease of Access" then "Keyboard"
    Otherwise type "Ease of access" in the Search box of the Start menu and choose "Ease of access keyboard settings".
    Drag the switch "Lock modifier key when pressed twice" to the "On" position. Close dialog.

If you go in to "Ease of access" via Control panel you need to choose either "Change how your keyboard works" or "Make the keyboard easier to use" then "Set up sticky keys". Here "Lock modifier key when pressed twice in a row" is a checkbox that you need to tick, then click "Apply" and close the dialog.

Once activated when using Irfanview you can turn the feature on with 2 short presses of the Ctrl key or turn it off with one long press.
    When it is on you can zoom the image in or out using just the mouse wheel.
    With it off Irfanview behaves normally. You move through the folder using left and right keys or the mouse wheel as long as the image is not zoomed in (scrollbars visible). You can always move forward or back using Space and Backspace keys whatever zoom is set.

Give it a try and see how you get on.

Comment

We don't all use Windows 10. Functionality should be in IrfanView ideally.

And disabling directory browsing is a major compromise just to have mouse wheel zooming. Keyboard (or right-mouse) browsing should be an option.

Comment

I did not think I wanted to be able to zoom without pressing CTRL but when I tried it I found I did quite like it. What I wanted was to be able to zoom and scroll an image without accidentally jumping to another image. How I am doing it using v4.50 may not be quite what you want but I am finding it very useful, and you get zooming without pressing CTRL as a bonus.

What I have now done is to make a second copy of the Irfanview executable file (i_view32.exe) and call it as an External editor when needed. I put it in Appdata in a subdirectory of the Irfanview folder, where the initialisation file (i_view32.ini) is put by a default installation. The first image below might help if you do not know how to find it.
        Next run the main Irfanview program and open an image. Then set the new Irfanview copy as an external editor as shown in image 2. You see that I made it external editor 2. Press Shift+2 to open the new Irfanview and the same image is shown there. In image 3 I have opened Properties in the new Irfanview and have unchecked "View other files...". Now all the jump to another image keys and mouse actions are disabled (and Zoom does not need Ctrl pressed when the wheel is rolled). I want to make images as big as possible in this program so I maximized the window size and I also hid the Toolbar (Alt+Shift+T) and the Status bar (Alt+Shift+S). I do not need them if jumping to new images is disabled, and it allows a bit more vertical space.

The last image is an example of what I see. You may notice that I have my Windows taskbar on the screen right. I prefer it there but it does not need to be. The advantage of remaining in a window instead of going fullscreen is that you have more scrolling options (and you can drag the image with the right mouse buttons). For presentations I find it useful to show the area that I am about to zoom to by drawing a selection box and then left click inside it to instantly zoom there.
        To move on to another image just close the window either by clicking the red X or press ESC, and the original Irfanview image is still there.

I now find it very useful. I did shift it from Ext Ed. 2 to Ext Ed. 5 by direct edit in Notepad of the first Irfanview ini file (very easy job). Now I press Shift+5 to view the zoomable image - Shift+5 on my keyboard is the "%" symbol which seems appropriate if I want to zoom. I have not tried it but I see no reason why it should not work with Irfanview 64 too.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.11.2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Another possibility is customizing mouse buttons. If you have a mouse with left/right tilt of the scroll wheel (it won't break the bank to get one) you can assign zoom in/out to those movements.

I don't know whether I will be using it a lot, but it works here.

see example for my mouse in screenshot below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iv_zoom_mouse.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	82957

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Mouse Wheel Option

There has been a lot of discusion on this in the forum, but I want to make it a specific feature request.

I appreciate that the default working of Irfanview must not be changed - BUT, like other users, I find that I too often touch the mouse wheel accidentally, often when trying to add a meaningful title to a photo, so that Irfanview pops up another photo, which then gets the new name instead. As long as I realise what has happened, I can scroll back (or forward) to the original photo, but I would be grateful if an option could be added to completely disable skipping by mouse wheel, for those of us who find it a nuisance.

One benefit of this forum is that I have only just discovered that one can use the mouse wheel to control zooming if one presses the Ctrl key at the same time. To my mind, this is a more useful function for the mouse wheel, so I wouldn't want to see that disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Holford View Post
              There has been a lot of discussion on this in the forum, but I want to make it a specific feature request.
              Merged with previous specific feature request.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Simple alternative:
                For my problem - unintended skip forward or back while trying to rename a file - it would suffice to inhibit this action while the rename dialog was open. This seems a normal thing to do, since the rename dialog should have the Windows focus. This would not require any change to the GUI or docs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Holford View Post
                  Simple alternative:
                  For my problem - unintended skip forward or back while trying to rename a file - it would suffice to inhibit this action while the rename dialog was open. This seems a normal thing to do, since the rename dialog should have the Windows focus. This would not require any change to the GUI or docs.
                  I do not understand this request. On my setup whenever the Rename dialog (or the Save As dialog) are called up, Irfanview is always locked and cannot regain the focus. So no possibility of skipping forward while the dialogs are on screen. I suppose if you are accidentally rolling the mouse button while you make the final left click on OK to dismiss the dialog, you could start skipping forward as soon as the dialog has closed. I think Irfan would reply that you should practice how to properly operate the mouse if you put that forward to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                    I think Irfan would reply that you should practice how to properly operate the mouse if you put that forward to him.

You're probably right. I might suggest learning how to use the keyboard: (F2, Type the new name, and press enter).
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                      I do not understand this request. On my setup whenever the Rename dialog (or the Save As dialog) are called up, Irfanview is always locked and cannot regain the focus. So no possibility of skipping forward while the dialogs are on screen. I suppose if you are accidentally rolling the mouse button while you make the final left click on OK to dismiss the dialog, you could start skipping forward as soon as the dialog has closed. I think Irfan would reply that you should practice how to properly operate the mouse if you put that forward to him.
                      I just tried it, and on my computer the mouse wheel DOES make irfanview skip files forward or back while the F2 rename dialog window is displayed. If this is not supposed to happen, maybe the discussion should be moved to bug reports, but I know that programmers hate that word 'BUG'! Bhikkhu is correct of course - if I can train myself to use the 'Enter' key rather than clicking on the 'OK' button in the 'rename' dialog window, I don't need to touch the mouse and there is much less chance of an accidental rename of the wrong picture.
                      Last edited by Dick Holford; 10.07.2018, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I found it quite easy to reproduce this issue, but it's not something I ever noticed before.

I think some users just twiddle with the mouse and encounter problems that others never notice. Note that I rarely, if ever, use the rename feature.

I think it's a bug, so feel free to submit a bug report to Irfan Skiljan. I have given up submitting reports precisely because of the kind of replies one gets as noted by Mij.

Comment

Working...
                        X