Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because when IrfanPaint is active it uses its own more precise and rational painting routine; have a look at the precision cursors at high zoom levels: now they are perfectly aligned to the pixel borders, and the painting is almost always precise. Zoom an image so that you can see the pixels very well, and compare the rendering with and without IrfanPaint active: you'll notice that with IrfanPaint the pixels are perfect squares, they may be cut on the borders of the window and, if you scroll the image, they move away correctly; instead, if it's disabled, the pixels may be a bit rectangular, and if you scroll the image they move away in a strange way. I even noticed that in some cases the bottom pixels aren't visible when a little image (e.g. an icon) is very zoomed.
    The strange thing is that I introduced this experimental feature after the 0.4.12.66 release, so I don't really know how can it be present in the dll version shipped with IV. Maybe Irfan released an experimental version that I sent him... I don't know...
    IrfanPaint developer
    The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
    IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

I noticed a signficant slow down in performance under the following conditions:

1. Fit to desktop and then zoom in close using marquee select or zoom keys
      2. Turn on resampling

Flood fill now takes a few seconds to fill in even a single pixel.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Flood fill is a bit slow, but where do I turn on resampling ?
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

In the View menu, Display options.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I don't have such a problem; I tried floodfill even on a 25 megapixel image, and it filled correctly all the dark background in about 1 second.
            IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Is it possible to add a shear for free handled cuts?

Comment

It would be difficult without adding layer support. I'm moving towards that direction, but I'm still far away from it.
                IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Restoring the original [support]

Hello
                  I took a long time getting around to using IrfanPaint, but was mightily impressed when I did.

I have been trying to teach some people how to use the clone tool, so there are a lot of mistakes to undo. The right-click eraser feature to restore to the original is brilliant and works fine until they use Undo. Undo causes a new original to be saved, so they can no longer use the eraser to correct any mistakes made earlier.
                  I realize this is the way IrfanView works so cannot blame IrfanPaint, but can anyone suggest a way of getting the original original back in to the undo buffer when this happens?
                  I am getting to the point of forbidding them to use Undo at all.

Comment

Your point is right, I too had some troubles with this behavior; I'll fix it in the next version.
                    IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Mij,

Yes you could forbid them by turning off Undo in Properties. But, there is a way of getting your original original back in the undo buffer if you are careful. Now I don't know if your students are up for this, but here it is:
                      1. Open your image
                      2. Open a second instance of the image (CTRL+N)
                      3. Show the Paint dialog in the second instance.
                      4. Show the Paint dialog in the first instance and begin working
                      5. Mistakenly use Undo
                      6. In the first instance Select All, Copy
                      7. In the second instance Select All, Paste
                      8. Close the first instance
                      9. Resume working in the second instance

I assume this will happen again, so you should open a third instance of the second instance before pasting. Try not to get too confused. Or you could wait and open it from its location when needed (takes more time unless you have quick access). You could also do this for the second instance if possible.

Now, you must be careful, as any wrong steps will likely cause problems. Here are things to avoid:
                      • Don't make the mistake of pasting before selecting the whole image. You will create a new file and lose undo.
                      • Don't do any actions, including opening Paint, after pasting, other than resuming your work. If you do, you will lose undo. Open Paint beforehand like instructed, or if you do open Paint after pasting, then undo and re-paste.

Comment

Thanks to you both. I thought it was just an annoyance, MItaly, but I am pleased that you see it as a bug and will fix it.

That method of yours is a bit involved, Skippybox, but it gave me an idea for a rather simpler solution that does seem to work.

1. Click on Menu/toolbar if grayed
                        2. Select All (Ctrl+A), Copy
                        3. File > Reopen
                        4. Select All (Ctrl+A), Paste

Only problem is it leaves that troublesome full image selection box on the screen. So I will have to explain to them how to get rid of that.

Comment

Yes Mij, that is great! Sometimes I don't see the most obvious.

Yah, deselection is what I have been wishing for.

Comment

Another clone question

Just a little thing about the clone tool MItaly. After right clicking to define the source position the X cursor does not appear until you left click and start drawing. Is there a reason for that? It is nicer when you do see that cursor immediately both to give confidence that you have actually placed the source point and to ensure that you have the precise relative alignment you want before you start to draw.

Comment

Good point, Mij.
                              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                                Just a little thing about the clone tool MItaly. After right clicking to define the source position the X cursor does not appear until you left click and start drawing. Is there a reason for that? It is nicer when you do see that cursor immediately both to give confidence that you have actually placed the source point and to ensure that you have the precise relative alignment you want before you start to draw.
                                If I remember well how I implemented the clone tool, it is because it's in its second state, so the source point has been defined, but obviously not the interval between the source and the target point. If you think that this is important I can show the X cursor over the source point also in this state.
                                IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Working...
                                X