Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to change the background of this photograph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stepwise progression

Hi Sam_Zen, goood day Mij

btw - Sam_Zell - your (avatar-user) image is really great. And Mij - yours too... !!

well many thanks for your replys - great to see such a forum with where knowledge-exchange, support and innovation takes place.

well as you can see this thing is a learing-task for me. and i can see some stepwise progression here. Now the gml-Matting-filter is installed - i can activate it. And work with it.

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
    The subdirs 'Adobe 8BF' and 'Filter Factory 8BF' are created default by the installations of the plugins packages. It could be just any sub of the plugins-dir.
    i have up the 8BF up and running - i did not matter the question of opacity... I clicked the option as Mij adviced me and it was starting!

See the outcome in the attached image. It shows the working process on the image. But unfortunatley i have no options to save the work. I only can press reset and cancel

Well there is something missing - i do not know - why i only have two (2) options. Where can i save the image - and then - i presume i have to build in the saved image in a other one, in order to get a new one....

look forward to hear from you. Thanks in advance for any and all help

Joo

BTW - i read the docus. As Mij adviced me
    Attached Files
    Last edited by joo_driven; 14.06.2009, 02:23 PM. Reason: additional infos

Comment

How to use GML matting 8BF filter

Hi there joo
      Glad to see that you have got the filter opened. I don't think you have quite got the idea of how to use it though, so here is a quick walk through.

1. Open your original. Image> Effects >Adobe 8BF filters.. select GML matting> Start selected filter. Select Composite over selected background color >OK
      2. Select Highlight brush and outline the bit you want to cut out. I have zoomed in a bit (Ctrl+) and selected a 5 pixel brush size. You can press the left mouse button and draw freehand or hold down Shift and click around the cut out to draw in short straight lines. The highlight should be continuous and cover the required edge of the cut out. You can touch up by extending the highlight with the brush or removing it with the eraser.
      3. Select Fill tool and click inside cut out area. Make sure fill has not "leaked out".
      4. Press Matte button. The cut out appears on a plain background (change the color if you wish). This cut out is not that good because of low res image and low contrast in places at edges. Don't worry, you can touch it up.
      5. I have used the Foreground and background brushes to clean it up a bit. Most of my editing was short lines drawn with the background brush (same way as for highlighting). A little bit of freehand with the foreground brush inside the cutout. The jaggy edges are because of the low res image. I could have smoothed the edges a bit with the Blur brush.
      6. Press OK. Select Composite output option > OK. Exit Adobe 8BF filters.
      7. Back in Irfanview I have opened Information and written down the image size (250x169).
      8. I have now opened an image to use as a background. it must be exactly the same size as the foreground image so I am resizing (and/or cropping) to 250x169.
      9. Open GML matting filter again as in 1. The filter asks if you want to apply a previous results channel (or make a composite). Answer Yes.
      10. Nothing you need to do. Just Exit the filter again.
      11. That's it. This time I have put you up a Welsh mountain (instead of on the Californian coast).

Happy matting.
      Mij
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Mij; 14.06.2009, 09:02 PM.

Comment

hello Mij

many thanks for the message and the great walkthrough! This is very detailed and i am happy to see this great HowTo. Now i will try it out to use the tool. Thanks for the great work - and yes. The Welsh mountain looks great! Unbelieveable what we can do with this tool... Thanks to you!!

Update: while i try to apply your HowTo here - i see that i.
        • - cannot see where i can select Composite over selected background color >OK, and that
        • - i cannot Press Matte button, since it is somewhat deactivated...

Well - if you look at the image with the GML-Matting, i have attached then you see that i have those options not....

well i try to investigate - where i have forgotten something...?

regards
        Joo
        Last edited by joo_driven; 14.06.2009, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Joo, in your attached screenshot the outlining has not been completed and the mask is not filled. There are two parts to the process that must be complete before you can take the next step. The buttons become active only when everything is ready. Look at Mij's images in order, 1,2,3,4,5,6 -- every step is necessary.
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

hi there many thanks

Originally posted by matera View Post
            Joo, in your attached screenshot the outlining has not been completed and the mask is not filled. There are two parts to the process that must be complete before you can take the next step. The buttons become active only when everything is ready. Look at Mij's images in order, 1,2,3,4,5,6 -- every step is necessary.

try to do so! but it is surprising that i have to fill the image full - that means that the outlining has to bee 100 %

i give it a try

see you later

Comment

Originally posted by joo_driven View Post
              hello Mij [*]- cannot see where i can select Composite over selected background color >OK, and that[*]- i cannot Press Matte button, since it is somewhat deactivated...
              hello again joo
              I am losing track of what you can and cannot do.
              I assume that in my item 1 you can now see GML matting in the list of filters, can select it and press Start selected filter. Is it at this point that you could not see a dialog box with the option Composite over selected background color ?
              If so is that still the case?

try to do so! but it is surprising that i have to fill the image full - that means that the outlining has to bee 100 %
              Yes the highlighter outline does have to be 100% or the fill color will leak out into the area outside. That applies even to the bottom of the cut-out area which is on the edge of the frame. Just position the highlight brush right at the bottom on one side of your cut-out and left click then position at the bottom on the other side, hold down Shift and left click again. That will draw a straight line across the bottom of the cut-out and stop the fill from leaking out there.
              I do not have a very steady hand so draw nearly all my outlines in small straight line segments by holding down the Shift key and clicking around the outline. I then just finish with a single straight line across the bottom. You soon get the idea of where you need to click.

Comment

hi all

many thanks for replying

i came one step further

try to finish today!

i will post agian

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                hello again joo

Yes the highlighter outline does have to be 100% or the fill color will leak out into the area outside. That applies even to the bottom of the cut-out area which is on the edge of the frame. Just position the highlight brush right at the bottom on one side of your cut-out and left click then position at the bottom on the other side, hold down Shift and left click again. That will draw a straight line across the bottom of the cut-out and stop the fill from leaking out there.
                I do not have a very steady hand so draw nearly all my outlines in small straight line segments by holding down the Shift key and clicking around the outline. I then just finish with a single straight line across the bottom. You soon get the idea of where you need to click.

many many thanks - i will report

see you later today
                many thanks so far

joo

Comment

hi there

when done all the work with filling out and creating a "layer" - what has to be done next. Well how to get the next layer!?

Try to finish today the first reworked image

i will post agian Meanwhile - many many thanks - i will report

see you later today

joo

Comment

There is no layer -- the plugin is written for programs that use layers, but IrfanView does not. Just ignore its talking about layers. When you have the masking outline and fill done, click "Mask". Then "Okay". Then, in the next dialog, choose "Composite over selected background color" and click "Okay". That's it, it's done.

Mij -- you don't have to close the bottom, as long as the outline is all the way down on both sides. I'm lazy
                    ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

hi there

good evening

Originally posted by matera View Post
                      There is no layer -- the plugin is written for programs that use layers, but IrfanView does not. Just ignore its talking about layers. When you have the masking outline and fill done, click "Mask". Then "Okay". Then, in the next dialog, choose "Composite over selected background color" and click "Okay". That's it, it's done.

Mij -- you don't have to close the bottom, as long as the outline is all the way down on both sides. I'm lazy
                      here we have the results

cheers
                      joo

btw: looks good so far - but what if i want to put a background behind that image... btw how is that other image, called the "demo image" being done... can i do such a image too!? Love to hear from you!!!!!!

BTW: in this regard - what is gradient here!? What does the term gradient mean here...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Joo
                        You only seem to have got to step 6 of my walk through. The remaining steps 7-11 are about adding a background image.

Your "demo" picture looks as though it has a background where the color (or brightness) changes slowly across the picture. That is called a "gradient" fill.

IrfanView does not do gradient fills (although there may be another effects filter that would). If you want to do that as well though I think that you should take that much earlier advice from Bhikkhu Pesala to use a graphics program like Page Plus.

Comment

David Blend - filters - Gradient Sky and a few others. Sorry, no link handy.

PaintStar

The GIMP

Avance Paint
                          ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Thanks Matera. I will have a look at that one when I get a spare moment..

It is quite surprising how much you can do in Irfanview using plugins, workarounds, batch files and other dodges but there does come a point when I have to admit that it is not really the right program for the job (especially when Bhikkhu said so several pages back).

In fact I know there is a gradient tool in Harry's filters that comes bundled with the plugins download. You can get an effect like the attachment by just playing with it, but I am not sure I want to go there in this thread.
                            Attached Files

Comment

hi Mij

many many thanks for the great work! it looks impressive.

Thanks Matera. I will have a look at that one when I get a spare moment..

It is quite surprising how much you can do in Irfanview using plugins, workarounds, batch files and other dodges but there does come a point when I have to admit that it is not really the right program for the job (especially when Bhikkhu said so several pages back).

In fact I know there is a gradient tool in Harry's filters that comes bundled with the plugins download. You can get an effect like the attachment by just playing with it, but I am not sure I want to go there in this thread.
                              i will play with Harrys tool

i do a background first - and then afterwards i will implement the image that i have created with bf8 filters....

BTW; how did i miss your steps 7-xy - i will have a closer look.

many thanks
                              regards
                              joo

Comment

hi there hello Mij

many many thanks for the relpy. Btw - i see that i did not walk through to all the steps ... Can i get into the steps again!? Even if i allready have stepped out and stopped with the work... at the step 6

Joo You only seem to have got to step 6 of my walk through. The remaining steps 7-11 are about adding a background image.
                                look forward to hear from you
                                cheers
                                joo

BTW - what about adding the image on a cetrain gradient image that i found on the net.... see the attachements. The question is aimed to get some better backgrounds: As you can imagine: Two pictures ghosted or let me better say put on each other. How can i do this on the easieset way. Do i need GML_Matting-Filter!? Look forward to hear from you
                                btw: see the attached files... with some gradient backgrounds.. Note; i found the backgrounds here http://www.nem5.com/graphics/grad/6.html or
                                http://www.nem5.com/graphics/grad/8.html .... ant the like...

The question is how to mount the background together with the image. Do i have to run the GML_Matting_filter again or can i solve this task somehow with other ways...!?

if i should explain it a bit more - then lemme know!!
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by joo_driven; 18.06.2009, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X