ScanGear Plugin is awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ScanGear Plugin is awesome

I am using the latest Irfanview on 64-bit Windows 7 Pro. Actually I have been using the program for various tasks for quite some time, but I have to admit that it absolutely keeps getting better every time I return to it. I have to say that this is no small accomplishment, especially when you take the time to consider all the alternatives and competitor programs with much the same purposes and intended functionality.

At some point in one of the recent updates for Windows, the standard Windows program for faxing and scanning built in to Microsoft Print and Document Services, for one reason or another just stopped working. I did some troubleshooting and research, and I found that a good number of others were likewise having such problem with it, and there did not appear to be a single cause pinpointed to remedy the problem. I was ticked about it, and frustrated too because I needed to get an important fax out. I really, really was not in the mood for major surgery to make this seemingly basic service work properly.

So I up and decided to just remove the broken feature in Windows and find a suitable replacement. Naturally, Irfanview came to mind pretty quickly. Even though I had not used it for this purpose previously, I was vaguely aware of its having the ability to scan an image. I fired up Irfanview, and pretty quickly found the menu option pointing me in the right direction. To my utter delight, it worked easily and like a charm. My document was put properly on its way in no time. Not only that, since I had decided to completely remove the previously depended upon program in Windows, I now took the time to thoroughly learn the ins and outs of the Irfanview plugin ScanGear. I must admit that it is far superior to what I was using prior to discovering this wonderful gem.

ScanGear's fax and scanning images are excellent renditions of the original, and the program allows me to modify the files easily in numerous ways in order to format the documents perfectly. What's more, the program is integrated with my system without any glitches whatsoever. When the program starts, it calls up the scanner driver I had installed with my machine, and then it moves right into the imaging process without any hesitation. It opens the faxed image in an Irfanview window AND it allowed me to have it saved in any number of different formats. As I have its default setting to save in pdf, it then saved it accordingly and it fired up my default PDF Viewer program for further review and whatnot. It just doesn't get any better than that for ease of workflow and product quality!

So I have to give a big hell yea! to the developers for this accomplishment. Muchas gracias.
    Last edited by localhost; 02.04.2014, 02:10 AM.
Working...
X