Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented More external editors

Hi,
    I use IrfanView almost daily, it is a great tool, thank you for that.

I would need more space for the screen with external editors, I run short with only 3 (ShiftN, JpegIlluminator, Gimp, CaptureNX are already 4; 5 would be great...).

Thanks a lot again,
    Manuela
    Greetings,

--Manuela

I find it difficult to get excited about this. If there were five, someone would want seven, or ten.

Try FastStone Viewer if you want more. Add that as one of your IrfanView editors, and then you can get more.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I usually recommend having Windows Explorer as one of the External editors using
      Code:
      C:\windows\explorer.exe "/select,"%1
      as the entry.
      When you use it Explorer opens showing the folder with the current image file highlighted. Apart from all the other things you can do in Explorer a right click on the highlighted file lets you choose "Open with" where you can have a long list of programs to open it with, or choose "Send to" to get another selection of applications or locations to forward it to.

Comment

If there were five, someone would want seven, or ten, of course. But many, most of users, I believe, would be quite satisfied. With all the formats and tools only three slots is perhaps too Spartan.
        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          I find it difficult to get excited about this. If there were five, someone would want seven, or ten.

Try FastStone Viewer if you want more. Add that as one of your IrfanView editors, and then you can get more.
          Why use IV at all when I have FastStone? Is this the sense of an IV-forum to get other viewers recommended?

I tried FS some years ago, and there was a reason (which I do not remember any more) why I returned to IV. Maybe I'll give FS another shot now.

Thanks for all the answers for a workaround.
          Greetings,

--Manuela

Comment

Originally posted by Manuela View Post
            Why use IV at all when I have FastStone? Is this the sense of an IV-forum to get other viewers recommended?
            That's the beauty of an independent user forum that is not tied to a particular product. We can recommend any product that does what users want, without trying to promote IrfanView specifically. I recommend it frequently on other forums, but it's not, and can never be, the best tool for every task. I also have FastStone Viewer installed, but never use it — unless I need to create an animated GIF.

If you want to edit Photos, uses a Photo-editor, if you want to design posters or photo montages, use a page layout program. If you want to view and convert images, use IrfanView.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Implemented !

Version 4.38 ( - CURRENT VERSION - ) (Release date: 2014-06-23)

- Option to add max. 10 external editors (for advanced users): Properties->Misc

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
                Implemented !
                I saw that, but I couldn't see how to add more than three editors in 4.38. I guess I am not an advanced user.

Comment

From the HELP file:

Hint (for advanced users): How to add more (max. 7 new, total 10) external editors: open the IrfanView INI file (i_view32.ini, probably in your App-Data folder) and find the section [Others] and see the entry "ExternalViewer3". You can add editors 4-10 like:

ExternalViewer4=command

ExternalViewer9=command

ExternalViewer10=command

The new editors can be started ONLY using hotkeys: SHIFT+4 ..., SHIFT+9, SHIFT-0

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

There are no such entries in my %AppData% file although I have added three external editors.

I think this is a poor solution, but since very few users need it perhaps it will be enough to keep them happy.
                    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.12.2018, 04:33 AM.

Comment

The solution is certainly good enough for me. Not that I am happy now, but happiness is overrated anyway.
                      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Jacal, you must have a good memory to remember which of 7 additional external editors goes with each of the 7 new hotkeys.

Thing is I do not need it now. I can use the new drag and drop feature instead. I already have a Links folder up in the corner of my screen. I just open that up to display all the links to possible editors. Then I hold down shift and drag the image from the IrfanView window onto the editor link I want and bingo.
                        Previously I had to open the File Open or File Save dialog to do that, so one step less as well as not having to find which file it is that I was working on.

Comment

Mij,

my memory is (much) less than perfect, but thing is I do need it (the feature) now, and this solution, Mr. Škiljan has enabled, is in fact all I need. I very often use three raw editors and need two or three additional slots for metadata editor and, currently, Zoner, that offers advanced settings (different external programmes for different formats) for additional caprices. Thank you for your suggestions, I will check this, have a nice day!
                          IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that, I am happy with this solution
                            Last edited by Manuela; 13.08.2014, 11:03 AM.
                            Greetings,

--Manuela

Comment

Working...
                            X