color saturation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

color saturation

I'm using XP Pro SP3, latest version of Irfanview w/complete plug-in package (although I don't know how to use/access any of them)

I am not a photographer but love to take pictures, some of which turn out much better than expected (photogs tell me so).
    So, I have attached a pic, to which I would like to change the background color but retain the subject's color. I might even like to play with the subject's color. There are also 2 other pics attached, that I played with.
    A photographer told me I need to change the color saturation. This is where I need help and how to *save* the settings so they will apply on the image.
    Please try to keep the language simple, as I am not a pro. Thank you for any help someone may be able to give.
    Attached Files

Unfortunately, there is no way to do the background-only change with IrfanView. I know of a masking plugin (not part of the plugins package) that can be used to separate part of an image from the background, but now we're approaching a complicated can of worms. The regular IV plugins don't have to be "accessed" -- they just give it the ability to do what needs to be done by way of the menus -- like handling a lot of different image formats.

To change saturation for the whole image: Image menu > Color corrections (or Shift + G) will open a dialog that lets you make many adjustments.

The GIMP would be a great help, if you wanted to get serious about photo manipulations without spending any money. But you have to sit down with it and study. It has pretty detailed Help.... Anyway, it has some awesome tools for making partial selections and doing stuff with them.

I shudder when I see that you are still running XP.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I got this by doing a Green Eye reduction of 60, followed by a Yellow eye reduction of 100. That is in Image >Effects >Effects browser (or press Ctrl+E), Hikergirl.
      You cannot get rid of those little bits of brown without losing the similar colored bits of the rose and in all honesty you cannot usually do as much as this.

As Matera says you really need a much more advanced program to do this sort of work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	043 042914 grey back.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	915.4 KB
ID:	81112

Comment

Thank you, Matera. XP is great; it's my old, slow computer that is the problem. BTW - I'm 1 million miles below poverty I'll find some patience and give GIMP a go.

Comment

Thanks, Mij. This particular pic (a tulip) is particularly suited to what I had in mind, as there is no interesting background. I'll try your suggestion, to see how it works.

Comment

Working...
          X