No announcement yet.

Convert to grayscale makes Paint dialog color grey; undo won't undo it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Convert to grayscale makes Paint dialog color grey; undo won't undo it

Hi, this is a pretty minor bug...

To reproduce:

open a color image (I used a JPG from my camera)
    hit F12 (or Edit > Show Paint dialog) to open the Paint dialog -- the Paint dialog toolbox shows up to the right of the image
    on the Paint dialog, choose a color (I used yellow or red)
    draw something on the image (just to confirm it works -- I used an oval)
    hit Ctrl-G (or use Image > Convert to Grayscale)
    image turns greyscale
    Note that the Paint dialog's selected color is now also grey!

Hit Ctrl-Z to undo the greyscale conversion
    Note the image is color again. But the Paint dialog color is still grey!

This is a little annoying if one is trying to choose a color that looks good on screen and also when printed on a monochrome laser printer.

Thanks

Not a bug in my opinion. When the image is converted to greyscale, the colours in the Paint Dialogue are updated. Undoing the change would not be expected to repopulate the Paint Dialogue palette. Loading a different image also doesn't update the colours in the Paint Dialogue.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes, that is what happens - but it's not a bug. There is a bug actually but that is not it.

Normally when you Convert to Grayscale you not only remove the color content of the image, you also change the format from 24bit (16.7M colors) RGB to 8bit (256 colors) paletted. Try it, with the Paint dialog off, and you can see that is what the Image information shows before and after. If you select Image > Palette > Edit Palette you can also see the palette that was created and that it comprises an exciting 256 shades of Gray. If you started Paint at this stage and tried to select a color you would (correctly) be presented with that same palette of 256 grays to choose from.

What is a bug is that if the Paint dialog is open when you Convert to Grayscale, the color content is removed but the format remains as 24bit and no palette is available. In fact I see that the Reduce Color Range feature does not work properly either with Paint open. The color range is reduced correctly but it never changes to a paletted format.

The Paint dialog appears not to be aware that Irfanview has a problem though because it still presents the palette that it expects Irfanview to have produced.

Whether anything can or will be done about this bug, I do not know, but that is immaterial to your problem, thundt. The Paint dialog is doing precisely what it should.

There are a couple of Workarounds for you though. You could just remove the color by pressing Shift+G (Color corrections) and reducing Saturation to minimum (-255) to see what a grayscale image would look like. If you want to see how it would print in grayscale though, I expect that a mono printer would quite happily accept the full color image and do the reduction to grayscale for you.

If you want to save foreground and background colors while you play with grayscale images, why not save them as custom colors when you have a full color dialog available. Make sure you press Add to Custom Colors twice when you save the first color though. You will see why when you try to save the second one.

Comment

Guys, I appreciate your insights but the fundamental point is this: "Undo" should return the state of the program to that immediately prior to the last action performed. Not partially -- entirely.

[Bhikkhu Pesala] Undoing the change would not be expected to repopulate the Paint Dialogue palette.
        Ah, but it does. Try it. The palette goes back to color. It's merely the color selection that is not restored.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by thundt View Post
          Guys, I appreciate your insights but the fundamental point is this: "Undo" should return the state of the program to that immediately prior to the last action performed. Not partially -- entirely.

[Bhikkhu Pesala] Undoing the change would not be expected to repopulate the Paint Dialogue palette.
          Ah, but it does. Try it. The palette goes back to color. It's merely the color selection that is not restored.
          Undo should restore the image to it's previous state, which it does.

The colour selection should not be restored — its not a quality of the image, but a program setting which was modified by the change to greyscale action.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
          X