Background colour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Background colour

I want to change the background colour of an icon file named home.ico. I have tried the paint menu but I can't get a response from it. This should be simple. Could someone please tell me the details on how to change the background of an icon file from black to white? Thanks, spruce18b

If the Paint Toolbar is not opening, probably the plugins are not installed. Update the plugins on installing IrfanView program file updates. The latest version is 4.38.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Background colour

Thanks for your advice to upgrade the plugins, which I did. However, I don't think that my problem is with the plugins -- it's my technique that needs to be fixed.

I want to change the background colour of an icon from black to white. The file is attached in jpg format.

The paint dialogue opens OK after I press the F12 key, and I can see the prompt "The color replacer is used to replace a color with another one. Clip and drag with the Left button to replace the background color with the foreground color . . ." But what is the foreground color? It's a tiny picture of a house with many colors. What am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      If the Paint Toolbar is not opening, probably the plugins are not installed. Update the plugins on installing IrfanView program file updates. The latest version is 4.38.
      Thanks, spruce 18b
      Attached Files

Comment

Background color is the one to replace, foreground color is the one to replace it with; you define them at the bottom of the Paint dialog. But you should simply use the Floodfill tool.
        Does that icon really have a solid background and not transparency, i.e. is the background also black when you look at the file in Windows Explorer? If the background is white, then go to Options > Properties > Viewing and set Main window color to white and reload the icon. You should definitely do it this way if possible.

Comment

JPG images do not support transparency, so you will have to save it as a PNG, GIF, or ICO file type to get a transparent background.

I used the floodfill tool on the Paint Dialog to change it from black to white. Because the background in a JPG image is rarely uniform black, increase the tolerance of the flood fill tool to fill nearly black pixels.
          Attached Files
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
          X