Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

yuv format - irfan works but avconv (aka ffmpeg) does not, why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yuv format - irfan works but avconv (aka ffmpeg) does not, why?

Hi,

Not sure where to start.

We have some HW that produces YUV files. But trying several of the filters for avconv on a Linux box I have not had good success. The closest I have gotten is a black and white image that, for lack of a better description, looks like it has gone through an old photographic effected once known as "posterization". But when I use IrFan and pick out the correct dimensions and number of bit - it looks fine. A nice black and white image.

The down side is that all the computers involved in our project are Linux based. And there are over 800 images that need conversion from YUV to something else. Between writing Bash scripts and using avconv (or probably ffmpeg) it is a snap to go from individual YUV files to a AVI movie. But then there's that "posterization" effect.

So, I'm wondering several things:

First, what's up with YUV files. There appears to be no information in the files for decoding. That is, if you don't know the specifics of the YUV - you can't read the files. Further, when you google the format - well - they YUV specifications seem vague!

Next - how does IrFan decode YUV files? I mean - I really want to do this automatically in Linux - so IrFan (which appears to only run on Window and only processes 1 image at a time and does not appear to have a command line interface) doesn't appear to be the right tool for the job. But - regardless - I'd like to know how it goes about decoding YUVs. If, for nothing else, I can then write a program to pre-process my 800+ images such that avconv or ffmpeg can handle the images.

-thanks.

IV does have a command line interface, see Help > Command Line Options, and it supposedly runs fine on Wine: http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#Q59. Seems a lot less painful/time-consuming than coding your own, but if you really want to do it, you could probably learn about YUV decoding by examining VirtualDub or AviSynth source. Or Gimp.

Comment

Working...
    X