how to stop color correction from making automatice adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to stop color correction from making automatice adjustments

Hi, I am not very knowledgeable about how to use Irfanview, am not even sure about the correct names of the features of the program I am having problems with, but I have been using it to edit jpg and other type image files for size and color. When I open an image I want to adjust, then bring up color corrections (under image menu on toolbar) I have a box with two images, one under "original", and one under "new image", with various settings that can be adjusted below the two images. I can then try whatever changes I want to make myself. Both images start out being identical, and the image under "new" would reflect various changes I try. I have been doing this with no problem for a couple of years. But off and on now, when the box with the two images under "original" and "new" is brought up, the "new" image is already altered, drastically so, like the program is making changes itself instead of letting me make my own adjustments to the original. I don't even like the automatic changes the program is making. Moreover it's now almost impossible for me to make my own corrections because I have to work from this already altered image instead of from the original. It has taken away control and use of the main feature I was using the program for.

Does anyone know why this is happening or how I can stop it from making these automatic changes, have the corrections box come up with the original image color on both images like it was before? Could this be the way the program is designed to work now, from an update or something? It has never done this before.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

On the right side, under 'Apply to original', there is an option to 'Save values on exit'. Try to uncheck this and set default values. I am just guessing, please tell if it helps.

Have a nice day!
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Hi, the 'Save values on exit' box was not checked, although I've tried checking and unchecking it since this problem came up. Checking it definitely made it worse, so you are correct about that. I am now trying 'Set default values', but looks like it's still altering the color before I do anything. With some images it's very obvious, glaring, but with others it can be more subtle. I can start going blind or cross-eyed staring at it, trying to detect what the difference is. I know it's there though. One other thing I didn't mention that changed at the same time this pre-altering of the color started, is that if I bring color corrections up, then make no changes myself and click okay, then try to close or move to next image, the 'save changes?' box comes up. This happens even if I click 'cancel' instead of 'okay'. Before, if I didn't make any changes and or clicked 'cancel', the image would just close or move to next, the 'save image?' box never came up. That seems to imply changes are being made without me doing anything, even if I cancel. By the program or little Tron men, I know not what. True, I can just click 'don't save', and neutralize it that way, but it's just another irritation, and something I never had to do before this started. Could it be a virus or that the program has become corrupted? Thanks so much for answering, really appreciate it!

Comment

About the do-you-want-to-save-changes, that happens for me too.

About apparent pre-sets, in a recent IrfanView version (4.36 or 4.37) a new feature has been introduced: clicking into the left, original image will use the colour clicked as a base for white-balancing the right-hand image. Perhaps something, e.g. your mouse/touchpad, triggers an unwanted click in the left-hand image?

PS: can you please set your profile to display the OS and Irfanview version you use

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Hi, I apologize for not having set up profile info before posting, I just joined. I don't actually know what cores are or where to find that info, but I've entered OS (Vista Home Premium) and Irfanview version (4.37).
          Are you referring to clicking into a Synaptics type touchpad? I have a HP Notebook that does have a touchpad, but I use a Microsoft Arc Mouse, rarely use the touchpad. It is enabled though, so you could be right. I think, but am not sure, this problem started sometime after updating to 4.37. It didn't start at the same time, but if your idea is correct that would explain why it doesn't always happen. I really don't think I'm hitting the touchpad every time this happens though, and it does seem to be all the time now. Also, the save dialog comes up every time always now, even if it looks like the color hasn't been altered. But maybe that happening is a change in this version of Irfanview? I will try disabling the touchpad and see what happens anyway. Thank you so much for the advice!

Comment

Just to make sure, the starting value of all sliders should be 0, except gamma=1.00.
            As for the save popup, uncheck Properties > Start/Exit options > 'Ask to save changes...'. IV flags the image as changed after using Color corrections regardless of whether there were actual changes made; I guess we could call it a bug.

Comment

A couple more tips
              (1) upgrade to 4.38
              (2) if it isn't the touchpad, then try disconnecting the mouse, just so as to see whether the error occurs when working with the touchpad only.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Working...
              X