Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Store 64-bit (4.44) - crash when using paint tools (F12)

On Windows Store version 64-bit (4.44) when using paint tools (F12) on any picture (opened or pasted from clipboard) application crashes:
    1. Randomly when using drawing tools
    2. 100% when Undo (CTRL-Z) used

Windows Store version 32-bit (4.44) is more stable but also similar crash with (F12) paint tools sometimes happens - but much more rarely.
    Win32/64 apps are rock solid - does not crash at all.

Device and OS:
    • OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    • OS Version: 10.0.15063 N/A Build 15063
    • OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    • OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
    • OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
    • Device: Dell Vostro 3350
    • BIOS Version: Dell Inc. A10, 08.04.2014

Sample error from Visual Studio debugger:
    Code:
    Unhandled exception at location 0x00007FFC2A85775F (ntdll.dll) in i_view64.exe: 0xC0000374: Heap failed (parameters: 0x00007FFC2A8B86B0): An exception occurred.
    Screenshots:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schowek01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	81769 Click image for larger version

Name:	Schowek04.jpg
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	81770 Click image for larger version

Name:	Schowek07.jpg
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	81771

Comment

Crash after Paint Dialogue and save

I have found the new version 4.5 crashes when you call Paint Dialogue (F12), make an edit to a image, and save.

The programme freezes does not save, and windows programme not responding pops up and you have to exit.

This is with the 64 bit and 32 bit version on a windows 7 machine.

Am I missing something ?
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 02.11.2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I think you dont miss anything. I've got the same problem with version 4.5 on 32-bit and 64-bit. I tried to change the paint.dll with an older version, but then the Paint Dialogue doesn't work at all. I had no probs with version 4.44. Maybe the reinstallation of 4.44 could solve the problem.

Comment

Paint crashes 64 bit IV virtually every time it is used

There is a well known bug (memory leak? threads becoming locked?) in Paint. Whereas it occurred only about 30% of the time with earlier releases of IV it now occurs 99% of the time with IV 4.44 64 bit running on Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit.

The sequence to get the problem is

1 PrtScrn ... to take a copy of the screen
          2 Open IV > Paste ... to paste the screen image into IV
          3 F12 ... to bring up the paint window
          4 Click a colour to choose it - I usually choose red
          5 Select the Rectangle tool at 2 pixels wide
          6 Draw a rectangle.

99% of the time the rectangle is not drawn, the screen greys out and IV hangs. The only solution is to Kill IV ... and do the edit in another program!

I know the author of Paint no longer supports it, but Paint is shipped with IV.

Please, please, please fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by John_Ha View Post
            There is a well known bug (memory leak? threads becoming locked?) in Paint. Whereas it occurred only about 30% of the time with earlier releases of IV it now occurs 99% of the time with IV 4.44 64 bit running on Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit.
            Please update IrfanView to 4.50 and update your forum profile.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Paint causes total freeze

The Paint function ("Paint Dialog") causes IrfanView to freeze and nothing can be done except go to Task Manager and kill the process. This has been happening consistently for at least 5 years and on hundreds of files. I estimate it happens on 90% of image files. AFAIK if it happens once on any given file it will always happen if you kill the process and try again with that file; if it doesn't happen for a particular file then it will never happen for that file.

1. Open a jpg or png in Ifran
              2. Edit > Show Paint Dialog
              3. Start using the Paint Dialog. I use almost exclusively: add text, arrows, square or ellipse shapes; almost never other paint functions
              4. Within 5 to 20 seconds, Irfan freezes, title bar says 'Not Responding', hourglass, Irfan window becomes light gray and it will stay that way, I guess until you shut down the computer
              5. Sometimes if you wait long enough you get pop-up message "Irfan View 32 bit is not responding. Windows can check online..." "check... close... or wait..." but I never wait for that, I go to Task Manager and delete the process.

6. SOMETIMES if the file that crashes is png, and I save it as jpg then try Paint on the jpg, it works. Or maybe the reverse, if jpg crashes, a png version of the same file does not crash. This is so seldom I can't remember which one it is.

Irfan 4.51 32 bit and before that 4.44 bit
              Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Comment

That is a behavior that is a bit different than that greeneyes described, as we can even start using the paint plugin with [F12]. But it crashes after some time or when we try to save the changes in the graphics.
                I do have the same bug since version 4.x (guessed).
                I found out that the plugin/IrfanView does NOT show this malicious behaviour on every machine I worked on. So it may be that there is a conflict with some graphic cards drivers.

I simply gave up using the plugin for any manipulation.
                Panther
                Last edited by Panther; 03.03.2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Those who do have problems with the Paint plugin should close the toolbar and save frequently. F12, Ctrl+S, F12 is not difficult to do.

If you save the file, the plugin toolbar will close automatically.
                  Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.03.2018, 01:33 PM.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                    Those who do have problems with the Paint plugin should close the toolbar and save frequently. F12, Ctrl+S, F12 is not difficult to do.
                    That makes no difference whatsoever for me. I've tried those things on hundreds of files on a dozen different computers over at least 5 years.

Comment

Since you exclusive use the Paint plugin to add annotation, get yourself a free copy of FastStone Capture 5.3 and use that instead. If it is something you use a lot, it is worth the $20 for a life-time license.

I doubt if the IrfanView Paint plugin will ever work on your system if it has been crashing for 5 years through multiple versions. As has been made clear above, the plugin developer has stopped work on it, and although Irfan Skiljan regards it as a priority, he has not been able to fix it.

It works fine for me, and no doubt for many other users. Reproducing bugs and fixing them for specific graphic drivers, or other variable hardware elements, would be very time-consuming even if he wrote the plugin himself.

Comment

Originally posted by rolfovo View Post
                        Hello,
                        When I use the "Paint menu" (text to an image, the arrow to the picture), the program always crashes :-(
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]4332[/ATTACH]
                        Has this Freezing issue been resolved with the Paint Dialog???! It started with 4.38 for me, I updated to 4.42 and it continues beit 64 bit or 32 bit versions on any of my Windows 7 PCs - even at work! I have used irfanview for years but I won't d/l any more versions until this Paint Dialog/Freeze up issue has been resolved.

Comment

The Paint plugin rarely crashes for me. If it still crashes for you on the latest version 4.51 then you should look for another software for photo-editing tasks or update your operating system.

Not upgrading IrfanView will solve nothing, and only means that you miss out on other bug fixes and improvements.

Please fill in your forum profile.
                          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.04.2018, 06:38 AM.

Comment

I have used IrfanView for years with no problems but now I have the same crash issue for several months, so far it has been once in a while (once every few days) but suddenly since yesterday it crashes very often every few minutes, sometimes even several times in a row, that I'm unable to use IrfanView, it becomes unusable. I've updated from 4.50 64bit to 4.51 64bit today but it's still not fixed.
                            Last edited by WowDude; 06.04.2018, 11:40 AM.

Comment

90% times I run Irfan I use Paint plugin.
                              After using Paint most of the times Irfan crashes (small images no so frecuently... memory issue?)
                              Now running Irfan 4.51 x64 in Windows 7 and is the very same problem than earlier versions, even it may be worse. Very old versions didn't suffer this bug.
                              So... 90% of the times I use Irfan it freezes...
                              Last edited by aguayajo; 17.05.2018, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aguayajo View Post
                                Very old versions didn't suffer this bug.
                                Then use a very old version when you want to do some painting. Just install it in a different folder: e.g. C:\Program Files (86)\IrfanView 3.50\ (or whatever).

Comment

Working...
                                X