Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fullscreen Alignment (Top-Center instead of Top-Left)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fullscreen Alignment (Top-Center instead of Top-Left)

After updating to 4.38 from 4.32 the fullscreen alignment changed from Top-Center to Top-Left.
    This is kind of annoying for reading comics (or pretty much anything that is larger in height but smaller in width than my monitor) on a widescreen monitor.
    Is there a way to get the old behavior back?

Here is a little illustration of what I mean/want.

The black is my monitor.
    The white is the not visible space "around" the monitor.
    The blue is the image irfanview is displaying.

This is how it is displayed now when enabling "Center image on screen".

This is how it is displayed now when disabling "Center image on screen".

This is how it was displayed before when enabling "Center image on screen".

Thanks in advance!

There is no change between v4.32 and 4.38 AFAIK.
    You may be confusing the two Centering options. The one that is accessed from the View menu under Display options (Center image in Window) will center the image when one of the Fit to Window display modes is chosen. The other which is accessed from the Options menu in the Viewing tab of Properties/Settings (Center window when loading new image) will center a new image (and its window) when a Fit to Desktop display mode is chosen.

Edit: Sorry. Just realised you are talking about Fullscreen mode. That is accessed from the View menu in Fullscreen options (Center image on screen) or when you are in Fullscreen mode by pressing hotkey C. That works fine for me in v4.38 too.
    Last edited by Mij; 16.09.2014, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Centre image in fullscreen centres the image vertically as well as horizontally. That may be new to recent versions. I don't know of any way to change it, and don't have old versions installed to test.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

This is definitely new in the newer version. I have the old 4.32 installer and the old version behaves like I want it to.
        The new behavior is "better" in the sense that it does what the option says. Namely center the image vertically and horizontally.
        What I would want (and what the old version does) is the option to only center horizontally but not vertically.

If there is no way in the newer version I will simply have to downgrade. Not ideal, but as long as it runs it's not a deal breaker.
        Last edited by Ession; 16.09.2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Install both versions to different folders, and use different shortcuts.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

OK, I understand what you are saying now, Ession.

I assume you are displaying in Fullscreen mode 1 (Show image with the original size) and the image is taller than the screen. Does "Fit to screen height" not give a big enough image?

In v4.33 you could read the top of the page in mode 1 whether centering was On or Off. In v4.38 you can only read the top of the page when centering is Off because now centering is applied both horizontally and vertically, as stated in the above post and, arguably, as most people would probably expect it to be.
            However all you need to do is press Page Up to view the top and Page Down to view the bottom of the page *, so it does not seem to be that much of an irritation.

I do have some older versions of the program and see that in v4.30 there is no centering option at all for fullscreen display. In v4.33 it behaved as you describe for v4.32, and in v4.36 it behaved as you describe for v4.38. In the Change lists you can see that centering was introduced at v4.32 and the C hotkey was introduced at v4.35 to allow you to easily switch centering On or Off. I suspect that was when vertical centering was introduced too.

There are no doubt other users who prefer it like that. There was no hotkey to center it vertically when it always opened at the top of the page.

* You must have "Jump to next image if page keys or Mouse wheel is used" unchecked in the Browsing/Editing tab of Properties.
            Last edited by Mij; 16.09.2014, 08:56 PM. Reason: Footnote added

Comment

Not really a great option for reading comics.
              But if there is no other way => back to 4.32 it is.

Thanks!

Comment

Hello, Im having the same issue. I still use an old version of IrfanView, just because of this change. Why is there no option to restore the old behaviour (center top)?

Comment

Originally posted by DoD View Post
                  Hello, Im having the same issue. I still use an old version of IrfanView, just because of this change. Why is there no option to restore the old behaviour (center top)?
                  Perhaps because most users don't read comics. They would rather have their photos centered vertically.

Use the old version for reading comics, and the latest one for other tasks.

Comment

If I may suggest, a good old dedicated little program for comics is CDisplay. It works fine on Windows Vista/7/8.

Have a nice day!

Mart
                    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Working...
                    X