Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

imPDF -- seems to be install, but not usable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

imPDF -- seems to be install, but not usable?

Tried to save as PDF today, no Options box was displayed... and couldn't save. Not sure exactly when the last time I tried to save as PDF was, so it could be that I haven't done it since installing IrfanView 4.38. I tried reinstalling the plugins but it didn't help anything.

Can read PDFs (yeah, that's Ghostscript not imPDF.

imPDF is in the list of installed plugins.

Windows 7, 64-bit, automatic updates.

What else should I report? Similar problem was reported a couple years ago, but not much detail given, a test version was created, and suggested for use. Didn't find anything newer.

I am seeing the same problems. Cannot load or save PDF files like I could a few days ago.

I blame Microsoft. It probably got broken by a Windows update, but which one?

Are you sure you mean that you can read PDF files? I cannot, though I could before.

Please update your forum profile.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 07.10.2014, 11:55 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

At the moment, I can't reproduce this, everything works - viewing and creating single- and multipage pdf files on two windows 7/64 home premium, fully updated computers. But I did have similar, rather mysterious problems in the past; sometimes only on one PC, although both have very similar configurations.
      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

After rebooting my PC, I can again save and open PDF files. The IMPDF Options dialogue opens as usual when I save a PDF file.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          After rebooting my PC, I can again save and open PDF files. The IMPDF Options dialogue opens as usual when I save a PDF file.
          Me too, today, which is after a shutdown, shuteye, and boot up. Mysterious.

What do I need to update in my profile? Logging in forced a password change, other stuff seems to work.

Comment

Your profile says that you're using IrfanView 4.25, but in fact you're using 4.38.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              Your profile says that you're using IrfanView 4.25, but in fact you're using 4.38.
              Ah. Updated.

Sadly, the problem has recurred... today attempting to save PDF files obtains the PDF Save Error again, and no sign of the PDF Options next to the Save dialog when I select PDF as the Save as type...

I was willing to think it was a windows update, since corrected, when it quit working and then started working again.

And, of course, yesterday was Patch Tuesday, and I did install some updates.... but why does that make saving PDF files problematical?

Comment

In the past, I have randomly discovered ways to make this work - or not work - again. Like uninstalling my main - but not only - virtual printer, or removing Convertor, a program, that should improve Inkscape's capabilities, etc. I usually have multiple PDF readers installed and some portable, plus dubious PDF editors, converters and other PDF-capable programs, often containing their own versions of ghostscript and many of them writing to registry here and there. This looks to me like a kind of Byzantine market, where nothing is really predictable and things just happen.
                IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Saving and Opening PDF files are both working fine for me.

Comment

Interestingly, while the PDF save problem is characterized by the save dialog appearing, but not the save options box (even though turned on), when I tried to save a PNG the other day, I had the opposite symptom: the save options box appeared, but the save dialog itself did not!

This was quite weird, and it appeared that IV was stuck... but finally I figured out I could click on the main window, and hit escape, and it would come to life (or did it go away? Should have made notes). On the other hand, after repeating this process a few times, I realized that an Agent Ransack search was running in the background, eating the disk. When I terminated that, Irfan View PNG save suddenly worked.

Now I wonder if PDF save might be affected in a similar way... either by disk activity, or by something else. Of course, I didn't make notes about other system activity at the times that PDF save didn't work for me. But if it fails to work again, sometime, I'll attempt to notice system activity. Meantime, if it fails for someone else, they might observe such also.

Comment

I can't open or save a PDF. ImPDF.DLL shows up under programs/Irfanview/plugins -- in Irfanview window under help/ installed plugins it does not. Why can't Irfanview find the plugin?
                      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 08.06.2015, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by albertababe View Post
                        I can't open or save a PDF. ImPDF.DLL shows up under programs/Irfanview/plugins -- in Irfanview window under help/ installed plugins it does not. Why can't Irfanview find the plugin?
                        Make sure that you have installed the latest plugins along with the latest version. Please update your forum profile accordingly.

The current version is 4.38.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X