Associations are not working correctly on Windows 8/8.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Associations are not working correctly on Windows 8/8.1

I've confirmed this on fresh install from Win8 & 8.1 isos on VirtualBox with 4.38. Here are steps to reproduce:
    1. Start IrfanView install, on Associations page click "Images Only" (and uncheck Chrome install of course)
    2. After IrfanView starts, go to Options -> "Set file associations" and notice all image formats are checked. You can close it.
    3. Now in Windows, open Control Panel -> Programs -> Default programs -> Set your default programs
    4. On the left click on "Irfanview", then on the right "Choose defaults for this program", then click on column "Current Default" and scroll down to see that some are "Not selected" like BMP or JPG http://i.imgur.com/42PqFPH.png

If you try to open bmp or jpg file, Windows will show you this http://i.imgur.com/4wQik2B.png and clicking on IrfanView will now fix association for that filetype. You can also check those unchecked file types in "Set Program Associations".

BUT!

With this come another major bug, assuming you checked those unchecked file types, now open IrfanView and go to Options -> "Set file associations", then just click OK and go to "Choose defaults for this program" or try opening jpg, you will see it's like before.

I have also tried this in virtualbox and some extensions - like jpg and bmp - didn't get checked, but when you try to open a jpg file after that, windows 8 offers you to choose the default program, irfanview being the first option. If you choose it, this setting becomes permanent (at least for now).

When I tried to associate bmp with zoner photo studio 17 from within this program, zoner opened the windows 8 "Set Program Associations" directly, bypassing the additional step. Bmps get opened by zoner after that.

Then I started IV as administrator and tried to "take over" the bmp extension. This lead to another "How do you want to open ..." window, IV being the first choice. Choosing IV registers it.

Installing faststone viewer on top of that has changed the status of some supported formats, and the offer to choose the default viewer came back. Adding file types from within faststone "resets" the corresponding associations, what seems to be the same behaviour as we saw with irfanview.

I'm not familiar wit windows 8 though and can't say, what is preferred here, what is a feature and what a bug.

Have a nice day!
    Last edited by Jacal; 13.10.2014, 10:22 AM. Reason: typo
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

John, it's not a good idea to use your email address as your username. It will attract spam. I can delete your posts, but I cannot change your username. You might have to reregister with the forum if you want to change it.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I can confirm that the File Association feature does not work correctly on windows 8/8.1.

If you choose "Images only", some of the most common graphics file types (.JPG, .BMP, .GIF, .TIF, .ICO, etc.) do not get correctly associated with IrfanView, and you'll need to set them manually. See screen grab below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IV_assoc.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	81260

This seems to have been an issue since the last release - hopefully it will get fixed soon.
        Last edited by johnnyzero; 25.03.2015, 12:49 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Confirmed to still not work correctly with Irfanview 4.42 32bit. My OS is 8.1x64. I tried running irfanview as admin to unset then re-set the associations. I also tried running the 4.42 installer as admin. Neither one worked.

Comment

Working...
          X