No announcement yet.

Big Endian text files do not display.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented Big Endian text files do not display.

I have recently found an on-line OCR program which returns .txt files which IrfanView with the latest plugins does not display. I am able to edit them in EditPad (Classic, a very old program). I am attaching an example, but the only difference I can see between a file that can be displayed and one which cannot is:

The first two bytes are xfffe, and every other odd character (between the "real" text) is x00.

Is this a normal variant on the .txt file format? If so, could the IrfanView plugin be modified to display it?

Cyril N. Alberga

Addenda: I guess I should do more research before phrasing questions. The files in question are being written as UTF-16, little-endian. So the question is, can IrfanView and/or the relevant plugin be made to display these files?

CNA
    Attached Files
    Last edited by calberga; 25.10.2014, 08:48 PM.

Get yourself a copy of Notepad2 open the files in that and save them with UTF-8 encoding, then IrfanView can display them.
    Attached Files
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually want ANSI as there aren't any exotic characters in the data. I cobbled together a little LISP program which converts the files in batch mode, but I was hoping that I could avoid the extra step.

Comment

I have forwarded your file to Irfan Skiljan. Perhaps he may be able to do something for the next version.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Many thanks. CNA

Comment

Irfan will try to add something for this.

Comment

Great. It was just a bit disconcerting when I opened the thumbnail view of the directory with the document images and the .txt results of the OCR service and saw alternating image files and totally blank thumbnails for the .txt files!

Comment

I just received a test version from Irfan Skiljan.

Extract the archive contents and overwrite the existing version.

That fixes the issue.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 17.11.2014, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much. It works like a charm on the cases which were giving me trouble. Pass my thanks on to Irfan Skiljan.

Comment

You can email him yourself. Email is on Help, About IrfanView.

Or he might appreciate some financial support

Comment

Working...
                    X