Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: IrfanView Version 4.38 freezes when saving image after using the "Paint" dialog

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I think it won't be too long before we get a new version 4.39, though I don't have any definite information on that. I do know that Irfan is working on a 64-bit version, and that that will need some work to get plugins to work with it.

To be frank, I don't think there is much point reporting bugs for a plugin that is no longer maintained by its author as who is going to fix them? It still works for me, without crashing, but the straighten tool stopped working for some reason. There are other ways to rotate an image.

We will have to work around bugs until the next IrfanView version is released. Then some bug reports will be useful.

Default Doesn't change a thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    First the easy one (from PunkCat). The menu dialog for the Paint plugin is a separate window. If you have clicked on it to select something, then that dialog box becomes the active window and receives any key strokes that you press. If you want the Irfanview browser window to receive your Ctrl+S key strokes then click first on the (blue?) caption bar
    For sure not the problem I am experiencing, because it for sure does not generate Win7's "(not resonding)" addition to the window caption.

Secondly, yes the image window is rendered slightly differently when using the plugin.
    I'm aware of that. Was intended mainly as a hint to where the problem might be located.

The development of the Irfanpaint plugin was not completed before the author moved on to other work. [...] What he left was, in his words, somewhat ugly code. In effect we have to use the
    plugin as it is or not at all. Personally, I would not be without it, warts and all.
    For me, that plugin is just unusable. I would be pissed, if it fails 50% of the time. But by looking closer at it, it is more like 90% failure.

Before I close the plugin, I always click the selection button [...] I believe that you may find the Jacques-PARIS suggestion above helpful too.
    Tried everything to no avail. Very sad because opening Powerpoint/Impress/Gimp/Inkscape for some trivial commenting is just way over the top.
    Last edited by 1rf@n@t0R; 24.04.2015 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    I think it won't be too long before we get a new version 4.39 [...] To be frank, I don't think there is much point reporting bugs for a plugin that is no longer maintained
    Second that. However: In an effort to deactivate the plugin (I hate it opening something that has errorneous behavior out of some habit), I renamed %ProgramFiles(x86)%\IrfanView\Plugins\Paint.dll -> Paint.dll.deactivated, but get an error dialog "Can't load PlugIn: 'Paint.dll'!" after hitting F12. Is there an .ini to patch or is Paint somehow hardcoded in the program? THX for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    We will have to work around bugs until the next IrfanView version is released. Then some bug reports will be useful.
    Looking forward to the new IV version (4.38 still has the malfunctioning paint.dll) that will allow easy commenting screenshots. Much appreciated.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Irfan Skiljan won't be fixing this bug. If Paint.dll crashes for you, then don't use it. There are better ways to annotate screen shots. Try FastStone Capture. The free version 5.3 is adequate for basic image tasks.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.38
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by 1rf@n@t0R View Post
    In an effort to deactivate the plugin (I hate it opening something that has errorneous behavior out of some habit), I renamed %ProgramFiles(x86)%\IrfanView\Plugins\Paint.dll -> Paint.dll.deactivated, but get an error dialog "Can't load PlugIn: 'Paint.dll'!" after hitting F12. Is there an .ini to patch or is Paint somehow hardcoded in the program?
    Yes, third-party plug-ins have dedicated menu entries and, at least some of them, dedicated keyboard shortcuts. For example, F12 starts paint.dll. If you have deleted or renamed that file, then don't be surprised you get an error when you hit F12. Just don't hit F12 or live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala
    To be frank, I don't think there is much point reporting bugs for a plugin that is no longer maintained by its author as who is going to fix them?
    I agree. I have no information on Irfan's plans concerning Paint, but it seems to me since no one will be doing a 64-bit version of the plug-in, it's days are numbered.

Why cling to old, buggy, unsupported software, when there are so many free alternatives? I recommend Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/index.html) - it's a great free tool and should enable you to do everything that IrfanPaint did, and then some.
    IrfanView Filter Sandbox - Create and share your own image filters and effects.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by jewe.org View Post
    Why cling to old, buggy, unsupported software, when there are so many free alternatives?
    For me, it's not buggy. For basic cloning, cleaning up, floodfill to make a JPG transparent, etc., it works fine.

For any serious photo-editing, one should use a proper Photo-editing program.

IV Beginner
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Ultimate/Enterprise
    CPU Cores

From Irfan, April 8:

On Apr 8, 2015, at 10:24 AM, Irfan Skiljan <irfanview@gmx.net> wrote:

"Hi Jon,

Sorry, this is something in the Paint plugin ... and the problem happens only on SOME Win7-64 systems.

I could not reproduce it on any of my test systems ... and the Paint plugin author has no time to re-write the complete Plugin and use other memory methods.

=> there is nothing in IrfanView I can do to fix this, the problem is in the plugin ;-)
    ---

This needs a pretty new Paint plugin with a totally new memory/image handling ... and this is a lot of work => I can't promise that for the next version, sorry."

But he also suggested trying to run Iview in WinXPsp3 compatibility mode, but it didn't help me.

---
    jsc

Default IrfanView crashes when F12 drawing tools are used

It happens with pretty much all the tools.

It seems pretty intermittent.

After the tool is selected, on mouseclick to start applying the tool (brush, clonestamp, floodfill, and propbably others) Irfanview crashes completely.
    It happens on pretty much all my files.

Win 7, with all security updates.
    Irfan 4.51 - Win 64 (same issues with 4.37, and earlier versions)
    Hardware Intel i7 4790S @ 3.2GHz, 16GB of RAM, C: and D: are Samsung SSDs.
    Irfanview is installed on a NAS drive with a drive mapping to G:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: i_view64.exe
    Application Version: 4.51.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 5a95285f
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_087d
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.24291
    Fault Module Timestamp: 5be7857f
    Exception Code: c0000374
    Exception Offset: 00000000000bf302
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 087d
    Additional Information 2: 087df2c17170c50fa6c4e4e6ea3aea10
    Additional Information 3: 99e5
    Additional Information 4: 99e5214a2f9a990c98ea2550e2ef2a68

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

This clearly is something that cannot easily be corrected on some 64 bit systems. So there seems to no point in just sending the failure report. I am sure that Irfan Skiljan would have spotted anything useful if it was there.
    I have never experienced the problem on a 16 bit version.

As a workaround if you do want to use the plugin you can always save a copy of the edited image on the clipboard. Before pressing Ctrl+C to do that make sure you have closed the selection box and clicked on the image to make sure that you save the image and not some other window that is open.
    After a crash you can then just open the original image again and press Ctrl+V to paste the edited image copy over the original.

Thread Information