IrfanView Version 4.38 freezes when saving image after using the "Paint" dialog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jewe.org View Post
    Why cling to old, buggy, unsupported software, when there are so many free alternatives?
    For me, it's not buggy. For basic cloning, cleaning up, floodfill to make a JPG transparent, etc., it works fine.

For any serious photo-editing, one should use a proper Photo-editing program.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

From Irfan, April 8:

On Apr 8, 2015, at 10:24 AM, Irfan Skiljan <irfanview@gmx.net> wrote:

"Hi Jon,

Sorry, this is something in the Paint plugin ... and the problem happens only on SOME Win7-64 systems.

I could not reproduce it on any of my test systems ... and the Paint plugin author has no time to re-write the complete Plugin and use other memory methods.

=> there is nothing in IrfanView I can do to fix this, the problem is in the plugin ;-)
      ---

This needs a pretty new Paint plugin with a totally new memory/image handling ... and this is a lot of work => I can't promise that for the next version, sorry."

But he also suggested trying to run Iview in WinXPsp3 compatibility mode, but it didn't help me.

---
      jsc

Comment

IrfanView crashes when F12 drawing tools are used

It happens with pretty much all the tools.

It seems pretty intermittent.

After the tool is selected, on mouseclick to start applying the tool (brush, clonestamp, floodfill, and propbably others) Irfanview crashes completely.
        It happens on pretty much all my files.

Win 7, with all security updates.
        Irfan 4.51 - Win 64 (same issues with 4.37, and earlier versions)
        Hardware Intel i7 4790S @ 3.2GHz, 16GB of RAM, C: and D: are Samsung SSDs.
        Irfanview is installed on a NAS drive with a drive mapping to G:

Comment

Problem signature:
          Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
          Application Name: i_view64.exe
          Application Version: 4.51.0.0
          Application Timestamp: 5a95285f
          Fault Module Name: StackHash_087d
          Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.24291
          Fault Module Timestamp: 5be7857f
          Exception Code: c0000374
          Exception Offset: 00000000000bf302
          OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
          Locale ID: 2057
          Additional Information 1: 087d
          Additional Information 2: 087df2c17170c50fa6c4e4e6ea3aea10
          Additional Information 3: 99e5
          Additional Information 4: 99e5214a2f9a990c98ea2550e2ef2a68

Comment

This clearly is something that cannot easily be corrected on some 64 bit systems. So there seems to no point in just sending the failure report. I am sure that Irfan Skiljan would have spotted anything useful if it was there.
            I have never experienced the problem on a 16 bit version.

As a workaround if you do want to use the plugin you can always save a copy of the edited image on the clipboard. Before pressing Ctrl+C to do that make sure you have closed the selection box and clicked on the image to make sure that you save the image and not some other window that is open.
            After a crash you can then just open the original image again and press Ctrl+V to paste the edited image copy over the original.

Comment

Seems to be fixed in IV 4.5.2 which reports "Improved Paint stability". It no longer causes problems for me.

Comment

Working...
              X