bitonal zoom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bitonal zoom

There's a program called PicPick that a friend recommended, and although I didn't think I needed another image editing program, because I've always found IrfanView and Photoshop sufficient, because I respect my friend, I tried it out. It has some useful tools available from the right-click menu of its system tray icon, and I've found the pixel ruler and the color picker handy for examining not only images viewed in IrfanView, but images displayed by other programs. (And another handy tool is the CrossHair cursor program, but I digress.)

Anyway, PicPick was installed and I'm playing with SVG and trying to learn how it works, and I generate some black lines on a white background in my browser, and screen capture them into IrfanView, and discover that when I zoom in to 1000% that the edges are fuzzy... instead of seeing pixels that are 10 times as big. So I tried PicPick, and it only allows integral zoom factors for enlargements (and ¼, ½, and ¾ for reductions)... so that is somewhat limited, but useful: I can actually measure the stroke width of my lines.

So, after all that justification, here is the question: is there a way to get "fat pixels" for zooming in IrfanView, whether or not it is bitonal. Yes, for nature pictures, the current zoom/blend technique is probably best. But for understanding what it actually in your picture, and perhaps editing it pixel by pixel, "fat pixels" would be useful.

I don't know what the problem is. Can't you just have disable resampling for zooming? Or do you mean something else?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I agree with you graphics-manipulator. I use PicPick and find it invaluable. It is an ideal companion for Irfanview IMHO. Apart from the very useful tools that you mention, I use it for all screen captures, partly because it is always ready to use but also that many of my screen captures are of images displayed in Irfanview and trying to use Irfanview to capture itself has problems.

Bhikkhu Pesala is quite right about your pixel problem. If you uncheck "Use resample for zooming" in "Display options (window mode)" on the View menu, it will look exactly the same as the PicPick editor. Resampling tries to smooth the blocky appearance and is useful for moderate zooms above 100%, but at 1000% as you see it is rather beyond its comfort zone.

The first 2 images below shows Irfanview at 1000% with and without resampling, and captured using PicPick. The third shows PicpPick editor at 1000% and captured with Irfanview. You see why you need both.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Irfanview - with resample.png
Views:	1
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	81182 Click image for larger version

Name:	Irfanview - no reample.png
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	81183 Click image for larger version

Name:	PicPick.png
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	81184

Click on the images to view them at full size.

Comment

Thanks, Mij. I looked all over properties, and could only find Resample for zooming under Full Screen / slideshow (and it had no effect, because I wasn't using Full Screen or slideshow). As you point out where the right place is, but I was looking in the wrong place. Working for me now!

Comment

Working...
        X