Problem with non-english characters in folder's names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed Problem with non-english characters in folder's names

I had this problem before when I use F7, F8 (copy, move files) and create new folder with name that contain special characters - in my case - polish letters like: ą, ę, ź, ó, ż, etc.

Now I was very happy about DRAG and DROP function in IrfanView. I've really missed that one.
    But because of problem with non-english charaters — I can't fully use Drag'n'Drop function

Here is situation.
    - In outlook express I create new message (new message window appears).
    - In IrfanView I've open some picture.
    - I drag'n'drop this picture from IrfanView to New Message Window.
    - If this picture is in folder which name contain polish letters, then when I try to send e-mail I've got a message like: "Can't send the file attached to message. The file can't be found" or something like that.
    - If the picture is in folder which name contain only english letters — everything is fine.

Look at the screenshot (attached to the post). This is OutlookExpress new message window with files attached. On left you see the file drag'n'droped (from irfanView) from folder that contain polish letters and on the right you have the same file drag'n'droped from folder that doesn't contain polish letters. As you can see the 'bad' file doesn't show the filesize.

Another thing
    If the structure is like...c:\folder 1\folder 2\folder 3\folder with polish letters\PICTURE.jpg.....then it's not properly drag'n'droped.
    But also if structure is like...c:\folder 1\folder with polish letters\folder 3\PICTURE.jpg ... then it's also not properly drag'n'droped.

Also when name of the FILE itself contain polish letters it's also drag'n'droped not properly (in outlookexpress new message window it shows some strange file name and don't show file size).

Problem with non-english charaters in folder's name or file's name.

Windows XP
    IrfanView version 4.38
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rhotax; 18.12.2014, 10:41 PM.

Will there a be a fix concerning the problem with "special characters" used in folder names ?? IrfanView will not SAVE or OPEN valid graphic files if they are in a folder (or some sub-folder) where "special characters" are used anywhere within the Path Name. All one gets is the typical message saying:

"Unknown file format, empty/damaged file or file not found!"

But there is nothing wrong with the graphic file... it is a valid file and works quite well when not under the path which has a folder with "special characters". BTW, this is on a Win-7 64-bit machine.

Comment

Hi,

is the Unicode plugin loaded (Properties -> Language -> Load Unicode Plugin at program start)?

Regards
      Nils

Comment

In my case - it is.

Comment

@Rhotax: does it work if you drag'n'drop the image from the Windows Explorer directly?

Comment

Yes, it does.

Comment

New observation.
              When I use F7/F8 (move/copy file) and create new folder wich name consist polish characters...it's creates two folders. One with proper name (with polish characters) and other with some "strange" characters. What's more, the files are copied/moved correclty (to the folder with polish characters).

Comment

Is there a some new version of Irfan View where this issue with non-english characters (mentioned in this topic) is fixed?

Comment

IrfanView 4.51 is the latest version. Please install it and update your forum profile.

Let us know if the latest version solves your issue.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

YES! It works! Finally After sooo many years

Comment

Working...
                    X