Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batch conversion keeping the original format of the files.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Batch conversion keeping the original format of the files.

Good morning, my name is Matthew and I have a suggestion feature ...

I have about 60,000 images/1500 folders on my computer downloaded on the Internet in various formats (mostly jpeg-png-gif-webm)

I have used other file converters and IrfanView is the one who makes the conversion of files with a great compression without any drop in quality.

I converted some files and realized that he can convert these files keeping the folder structure.

My request is, it is possible in a future version, add support batch conversion, but you keep the original format of the files and the original folder structure? ? Or the user can choose which file format will be ignored (in my case ignore webm - gif)

I had seen other programs that do the same, but none of them has a compression as good as the IrfanView.

Thank you for great program developer.

Any answers? It's been almost two weeks since the topic was created and others that were created after this had an answer ....

Just tell me if it is possible or not ... Thanks.

Comment

No developers here, just other users.

I don't see this as a feature worth adding. Just filter the files that you add to the batch dialogue, or write a batch file to run two or three batch operations in succession if you want to use the command line.

If you're converting PNG files to JPG, then you will lose quality. if you convert JPG files to PNG, then you will increase the file size. It's really best to treat each file type separately. One batch operation to compress JPG, one for PNG, and another to convert GIF to PNG. WebP images are also supported by IrfanView, which give an even better compression/quality ratio than JPG images. However, not all browsers support WebP images.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

thx

How will filter 60,000 files in 1500 folders? (Currently 80,000)

I started doing this manually, in all folders ... when, after two months I did in only 300 (6-7,000 files) folders in total and had 2 ~ 3 GB of space saved.

I did the conversion using Format Factory.

I filtered the files in jpeg and png, jpeg converted to jpeg photos, and soon after converted the png to jpeg photos and changed the format of PNG images that have been converted to jpeg using a small script.

I did not notice much difference between PNG and JPEG (except for the huge resolution and size differences, and the monitor that I use on my PC is fullHD, and most of the time, PNG images has a very high resolution with an incredibly large size.

But I realized that a work of this level would take many months to be completed.
        I did not notice a big loss of quality.

is there any way to select at the time of conversion types of files to be converted? For example, just convert the jpeg images in folders? Then I would do the same with the PNG images, making the program ignore the images in another format contained in folders.

I would convert all jpeg images to jpeg in order to decrease the size, and soon after would do the same with the images in PNG format.

If yes, can you show me how I can do this? I would greatly appreciate it.

The irfanview conversion is better than the format factory.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I forgot to ask something.

Comment

To filter file types, select the desired file type on the Batch dialogue, then click Add All. Repeat for each file type, and change the output file type too. For large numbers of images, the batch process may take a while, but setting up each operation takes only a minute — just be careful that you do it right the first time.

1. Decide if you want to keep Exif data in the JPG images, removing it will save space.
          2. Decide on the output quality - Try to save with original JPG quality is recommended
          3. PNG with maximum compression. If you want to retain transparency, use the main window colour or you will be asked to select the colour for each image.
          4. If you want to use the Advanced Batch options, e.g. to save files with original date/time, make sure you're not changing something else that you don't want to change.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 21.01.2015, 10:49 AM.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            To filter file types, select the desired file type on the Batch dialogue, then click Add All. Repeat for each file type, and change the output file type too. For large numbers of images, the batch process may take a while, but setting up each operation takes only a minute — just be careful that you do it right the first time.

1. Decide if you want to keep Exif data in the JPG images, removing it will save space.
            2. Decide on the output quality - Try to save with original JPG quality is recommended
            3. PNG with maximum compression. If you want to retain transparency, use the main window colour or you will be asked to select the colour for each image.
            4. If you want to use the Advanced Batch options, e.g. to save files with original date/time, make sure you're not changing something else that you don't want to change.
            Thanks for the help, I converted all jpeg images, and got a bit of disk space.

But there was no difference when converted PNG images with maximum compression, in fact, they increased in size.
            I tried with GIF images, but after converted any of GIFs images exhibited animations, it showed only as still images.

Do you know any way to change the various batch files format, but within several different folders?

Or soon after converting PNG images to JPEG to change the format of these images in all folders for PNG again using the 'batch rename'?

I plan to convert PNG images to JPEG and then just change the format to PNG again, but there is no quick way to do this?

Thanks again.
            Last edited by MatheusGiRaFa; 28.01.2015, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Hi. So you want to convert certain filetypes in a folder+subfolders, with output destination being the same as source? You can do that with a batch script I wrote: irfanview-forum.de/showpost.php?p=42762
              Needless to say, you should experiment on some small test folder first until you verify it does what you want.
              Last edited by Gownaar; 31.01.2015, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gownaar View Post
                Hi. So you want to convert certain filetypes in a folder+subfolders, with output destination being the same as source? You can do that with a batch script I wrote: irfanview-forum.de/showpost.php?p=42762
                Needless to say, you should experiment on some small test folder first until you verify it does what you want.
                No, I want to convert the PNG files to JPEG and then change the file format to PNG again.

I found a very simple and easy to use utility that solved this problem, the name is Bulk Extension Changer, you can change the format of multiple files in various subfolders within seconds.

The final size of the files were of 46GB with the help of IrfanView and Bulk Extension changer I managed to reduce the files size to 20GB.

Thank you for help guys. Thank you very much.

Comment

What is the point of converting from lossless format to lossy and then back to lossless? If your goal was to save space, you should've left the files as jpgs. Converting them back to png does nothing in terms of quality (data is lost in png->jpg conversion and you can't get it back), it only makes files unnecessarily larger.

Comment

Originally posted by Gownaar View Post
                    What is the point of converting from lossless format to lossy and then back to lossless? If your goal was to save space, you should've left the files as jpgs. Converting them back to png does nothing in terms of quality (data is lost in png->jpg conversion and you can't get it back), it only makes files unnecessarily larger.
                    I converted the PNG files to JPEG and then just changed the format to PNG again, I did not convert the same file twice

Converted PNG files to JPEG> I changed the format to PNG

Comment

JPEG and PNG are completely different types of compression, you can't change the format without conversion, unless you mean you simply renamed the files to .png, which would make no sense since you would just have jpegs with incorrect extension.

Comment

Working...
                      X