Thread: Implement BPG format

IV Amateur
    Version
    IrfanView 4.00
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores

Thumbs up

okay & thank you for your explanation. (i will consider later writing a mail for him then, hoping he will be interested despite the contrary history with his (and general) "happiness" about new and "useless" formats.)

p.s.: note to you, iw's support for webp has come in handy, as my firefox derivative couldnt open it ;P (most ie users wont either, tho thats not a friendly 'modern browser') -- now i checked on wiki and it said that just like bpg, it also has some javascript decoder. if putting it onto your webpage is uncomfortable to you, then its not worth doing it, given that you say you only use the format rarely. ntl, good to know it exists for both.

also, since your following post yesterday, i have edited a prev message also yd, adding nice links comparing bpg to webp, one of which has at least 30 selectable test images. very cool comparison site, can select many other formats as well. i like that bridge night photo there from wikimedia

######
    5 days later edit:
    i forgot to mention, but for anyone stumbling upon this thread and wondering: what also makes this format different from previous jpeg-improving contenders (2000,xr,wmp,vp8), is that they come from nothing, an independent codebase or a fringe video codec, while this one is based on a sure-to-win h265 thing which WILL be in every major and minor hardware device, chip &c within a year. basically, only h264 and 5 have this sort of widespreadness advantage. so any image format based on these will have to be judged accordingly... these are not your grandfathers wavelets, lol!
    Last edited by aaa3; 26.02.2015 at 08:24 PM. Reason: no new post4this

IV Amateur
    Version
    IrfanView 4.00
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores

UPDATE - there will be support, no forwarding needed, a test version with read mode already exists (hoping its not unokay to disclose this, i jsut wanted to save effort and communication). write will only come later, it depends on upstream (fb). speed is similar to ecw, and these two are ca 50% slower than webp, jpg and png - all the same; and ca 100% faster than jp2. so far no problems found.
    Last edited by aaa3; 27.02.2015 at 10:59 AM.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.32
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Home Premium SP1
    CPU Cores

Default bpg format?

Can this format be added to Irfanview: bpg

See: http://bellard.org/bpg/

This format is superior to any other format except for the original image at any level of compression.

See: http://xooyoozoo.github.io/yolo-octo...ts&jpg=s&bpg=s

and

http://xooyoozoo.github.io/yolo-octo...ic&jpg=s&bpg=s

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by aaa3 View Post
    UPDATE - there will be support, no forwarding needed, a test version with read mode already exists (hoping its not unokay to disclose this, i jsut wanted to save effort and communication). write will only come later, it depends on upstream (fb). speed is similar to ecw, and these two are ca 50% slower than webp, jpg and png - all the same; and ca 100% faster than jp2. so far no problems found.
    What happened to this? It's not supported yet in IrfanView 4.42, so where's the test version?

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.42

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by aaa3 View Post
    there will be support, no forwarding needed, a test version with read mode already exists (hoping its not unokay to disclose this, i jsut wanted to save effort and communication).
    Celebrating 1.5 years since the first test version, don't let us detain you from releasing it :-)

The bpg format, though hindered by patents and thus only good for internal use, completely crushes everything else (jp2, xr, webp) at lossless and esp. veryverynear lossless mode. Pity that bpg development seems to have slowed down, alas, it's only a wrapper around hevc anyway. But from a tech point of view, only flif might compete for lossless and only b/c it doesn't have any generation loss on re-saving.

XnView already has support, but it's only through the cli decoder so every time a bpg file is opened there's an annoying console flicker. Let's see if iv can do better...
    Last edited by Marsu42; 08.10.2016 at 10:42 PM.

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

There is obviously no point asking here as aaa3 has not responded to my post.

Send an email to Irfan Skiljan (Help, About IrfanView) and let us know what he says.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.42

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    There is obviously no point asking here as aaa3 has not responded to my post.
    Maybe another user asking after some time might nudge him to a post, certainly no reason to be offended on your part :-)

Send an email to Irfan Skiljan (Help, About IrfanView) and let us know what he says.
    ... done:

I've been asked to mail you about possible .bpg support for bpg as there's rumored to be a "test version" around, though it sounds rather dubious:

https://irfanview-forum.de/showthrea...ll=1#post43602

Rationale: Though .bpg is just a wrapper around hevc, it has killer compression and high bitres support & is thus nice for personal archiving. Otherwise it won't be going anywhere b/c of patented tech, and the 8bit-only webp will probab be the web's choice. But for either 100% or "veryverynearly lossless", bpg is half the size of webp.

XnView already has read support, but not through libbpg but only a horrible cli wrapper that pop ups a console window each time an image is opened. You can find more information here or mail the dev - though to be truthful there doesn't seem to be a lot of active development during the last time, and there's no forum or official tracker:

http://bellard.org/bpg/
    https://github.com/mirrorer/libbpg
    https://thomash.fr/
    Btw, Mr. mod, could you please remove the "Implemented" tag from the thread? Thanks.
    Last edited by Marsu42; 09.10.2016 at 09:07 AM.

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Marsu42 View Post
    Maybe another user asking after some time might nudge him to a post, certainly no reason to be offended on your part :-)
    I was not offended by aaa3 failing to reply. I will change the status of the thread when I get confirmation that it has not been implemented for some reason, such as limitations caused by patents.

aaa3 said it had already been implemented in a test version, but we are still waiting for a reply, either from him or from Irfan Skiljan.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 09.10.2016 at 09:32 AM.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.42

I was not offended by aaa3 failing to reply
    I've got the test version now and it works like a charm - but bpg support won't be included in mainstream iv yet b/c of patent doubts, even if problems with releasing a hevc *decoder* are probably remote.

So that's the end of that for now, don't be troubled if I cannot discuss this further in public, too :-)

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Thanks for your efforts. I have amended the thread status.

Everyone will just have to wait to see if this can be implemented later.

Thread Information