No announcement yet.

Implement BPG format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is obviously no point asking here as aaa3 has not responded to my post.

Send an email to Irfan Skiljan (Help, About IrfanView) and let us know what he says.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      There is obviously no point asking here as aaa3 has not responded to my post.
      Maybe another user asking after some time might nudge him to a post, certainly no reason to be offended on your part :-)

Send an email to Irfan Skiljan (Help, About IrfanView) and let us know what he says.
      ... done:

I've been asked to mail you about possible .bpg support for bpg as there's rumored to be a "test version" around, though it sounds rather dubious:

Rationale: Though .bpg is just a wrapper around hevc, it has killer compression and high bitres support & is thus nice for personal archiving. Otherwise it won't be going anywhere b/c of patented tech, and the 8bit-only webp will probab be the web's choice. But for either 100% or "veryverynearly lossless", bpg is half the size of webp.

XnView already has read support, but not through libbpg but only a horrible cli wrapper that pop ups a console window each time an image is opened. You can find more information here or mail the dev - though to be truthful there doesn't seem to be a lot of active development during the last time, and there's no forum or official tracker:

libbpg (copy of the source code for easy access). Contribute to mirrorer/libbpg development by creating an account on GitHub.

https://thomash.fr/
      Btw, Mr. mod, could you please remove the "Implemented" tag from the thread? Thanks.
      Last edited by Marsu42; 09.10.2016, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marsu42 View Post
        Maybe another user asking after some time might nudge him to a post, certainly no reason to be offended on your part :-)
        I was not offended by aaa3 failing to reply. I will change the status of the thread when I get confirmation that it has not been implemented for some reason, such as limitations caused by patents.

aaa3 said it had already been implemented in a test version, but we are still waiting for a reply, either from him or from Irfan Skiljan.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 09.10.2016, 10:32 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I was not offended by aaa3 failing to reply
          I've got the test version now and it works like a charm - but bpg support won't be included in mainstream iv yet b/c of patent doubts, even if problems with releasing a hevc *decoder* are probably remote.

So that's the end of that for now, don't be troubled if I cannot discuss this further in public, too :-)

Comment

Thanks for your efforts. I have amended the thread status.

Everyone will just have to wait to see if this can be implemented later.

Comment

Look forward to...

If BPG ever be implemented, it would be desirable:
              1. In the test version of BPG is no possibility of reading EXIF. While information must be (not lost)
              2. I can not saved in BPG (by the way, perfectly realized in Romeolight BPGconv)
              Thanks you. Sorry for translate.

Comment

For some reason, searching for "bpg" returned 0 results, so I "accidently" wrote a mail to Irfan...

I found there is already a github project with plugins for XnView, Susie, and Imagine. I hope this could be a suitable base to implement one for IrfanView as well, at least for reading.

Comment

The forum search does not allow strings of 3 characters or fewer.

Do let us know what Irfan Skiljan says if he replies to you.

Comment

Working...
                  X