Keeps creating a new .ini file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeps creating a new .ini file

I've been using Irfanview since the very first version. It was running fine until I updated and now, no matter what folder it's in, when I open a graphic in Irfanview, a new i_view32.ini file is created in that folder.

How can I fix this?

Hi,

I assume you use IrfanView 4.38.
    Can you please post the content of the file
    C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.ini

If you have a registered version please remove the line
    Code=

Regards
    Nils

Comment

The ini file in the Program Files/Irfanview/ folder is

[Others]
      INI_Folder=%APPDATA%\IrfanView

But in each folder where I open a graphic file with Irfanview, this ini file is made:

[Open]
      OpenDir=C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Temp\
      [WinPosition]
      xKoord=0
      yKoord=0
      Width=495
      Height=521
      Maximized=0
      [RecentFiles]
      File0=C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Temp\J&D (crop).jpg
      File1=
      File2=
      File3=
      File4=
      File5=
      File6=
      File7=
      File8=
      File9=
      File10=
      File11=
      File12=
      File13=
      File14=

This is happening with version 4.38. But this also happened in a previous version so I updated to see if that was the problem.

(We have the same name - mine is Neal, Scottish for Nils.)
      Last edited by joro; 28.03.2015, 12:47 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

...also found this strange condition:

When I try to use Images/fine rotation, I get this pop-up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	irfanview ini error msg.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	81270

But when I check the attributes, the file is not read only.

Comment

It seems that you chose to install the configuration folder in the IrfanView folder, instead of in the recommended place, which is the %AppData% folder. Write permissions are needed for saving files in C:\Program Files (86).

Run the installer again to fix it.
          Attached Files
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

The OPs response in #3 appears to confirm that the installation was correct and that the i_view32.ini would be written to the folder referenced by the %AppData% variable. The fact that an ini file is being written to the folders from which images are opened suggests either that there is another "INI_folder=" redirect in the %Appdata% i_view32.ini file or that the %Appdata% variable itself is pointing to the wrong place.

Comment

I reinstalled Irfanview and made sure the button to put the ini file in the AppData folder.

It still creates a new Irfanview folder anywhere I open a graphic in. The new folder has the ini file in it.

Comment

Hi Neal,

what happens when you open %appdata% in Windows Explorer?
                Is there a folder "IrfanView"? Please close all IrfanView instances and rename this folder.
                After the next run a new folder should be created.

If IrfanView will still create new i_view32.ini files in you picture folders we have to do some more checks. How do you start IV? Do you have a link which you use or do you open pictures just with a double click?
                In the last case there my be a mistake in the registry, which hopefully can be fixed this way:
                Browse to a picture folder. Hold down the shift key and do a right click on a picture. In the context menu there should be an entry "Open with". Click on the last entry "Select default program" (or similiar, I don't have an english windows available at the moment), do not use the existing IrfanView entry. Browse to the location of the exe file and have the checkbox enabled to use this program always for your graphics file.

Than try again.

Best regards
                Nils

Comment

Aloha Nils,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I did all that you noted. First I renamed the Irfanview folder in Appdata\Roaming. Then I went to a graphics folder, opened a file by double-clicking it and Irfanview displayed the file. But it again created a new sub-folder (Irfanview) and a new ini file. There was not a new Irfanview folder in AppData.

After closing all instances of Irfanview, I shift+right-clicked on a graphics file, then selected Irfanview as the default and opened the file. The same thing happened - a new Folder with the ini file in the folder of the graphic file. Also no new Irfanview folder in AppData.

Comment

Something odd going on there.
                    I suggest you search for all copies of i_view32.ini on your computer in case there are ones that you do not know about. Although a lot less common than in Vista it is still possible for Win7 to save settings in a Virtual folder without you being aware.
                    Open Irfanview as you normally would and then select File > Search files. The settings I would use are shown in the attachment. Searching the whole C: drive will take a few minutes but will make sure you pick up all of them.
                    When the search is complete you can select all the results by clicking the top one, and then the bottom one with Shift held down. Then Press "Show in Viewer" to view them all in turn in the viewer window. You need to view text files at full scale so if any are too small to read press Ctrl+H for 100% zoom ratio.
                    You are looking for any that have the INI_FOLDER= xxxxx line in them probably in the block headed [Others]. Make a note of where the ini file is being directed to by that command and, if you have forgotten where the ini file you are looking at is saved, press I for the Information dialog to see which folder it is in.
                    Using Irfanview to do the Search makes certain that you are looking in the same user folders as Irfanview does when opening images.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 012.png
Views:	1
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	81273

Comment

Good tip:

@Joro:
                      Please check if there is an folder
                      %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView
                      containing an i_view32.ini.

Comment