Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add option to "undelete last file deleted"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Add option to "undelete last file deleted"?

I use Irfanview a lot to scan thru folders of images, thinning and sorting dozens or even hundreds of images in a session. I sometimes have a heavy finger on the delete button, and on occasion I hit it once too many times. I used to be able to immediately go to "edit -> undo" and the most recently deleted file would be undeleted. Irfanview no longer does this. I would like to see it (if possible) re-integrated, or perhaps an additional menu selection to "Undlelete last file deleted" under edit.

I cannot remember ever being able to do that in Irfanview. I just tried it in v4.30 and could not undelete in that either.
    You can restore them from the Recycle bin of course as long as you have that option set in the File Handling tab of Properties/Settings.

Comment

I think that image viewers, text editors, video players etc. are not supposed to fiddle with recycle bin, and I also don't believe that IrfanView was ever able to do that. The consequences could be very unpleasant.
      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

I agree with you fully, Jacal. If you delete an image to the Recycle bin then you clearly have to fiddle with the bin in order to take the file back out of it. In fact I would be happier if Irfanview did not have the ability to delete files at all. Anything that the program can do could also be done by a virus that infected the program and, as I often choose to use Irfanview in a portable form, outside the protection of the "Program files" folder, I am very conscious of that risk. IMHO Irfanview is an Image manager and it does not need to be a File manager too.

I have long advocated reserving one of the Irfanview External editor slots for a File Manager. I am happy to use Windows Explorer so have C:\windows\explorer.exe "/select,"%1
        in the settings as External editor 3. If I want to perform a File management function such as Deleting an image, I just press Ctrl+3 to open it at that image file and delete it in Explorer. I can Undo the delete there should I want to. Explorer does have the feature that the OP requested.

Comment

Hi,

since IrfanView can do so many things it is nice to delete pictures within it. And the "Delete to the recycle bin" option is also great. But I agree, using the deletion on a USB stick or SD/CF card wich does not support the recycle bin is a little bit bad. Maybe an option "Deletion is only allowed on drives with a recycle bin" would be nice.

Also it may an option to change the file extions first instead of deleting files, i.e. from ".jpg" to ".jpg-del" or prepending a "del-" on the whole file name. So it is possible to "Undo" this by just renaming or do a late deletion by doing it manually. Having an own deletion mechanism for USB/SD/CF devices is not a good option since there are some things needed like using little database for the original folder and file name.

But I recommend coping files always to a drive with a recycle bin first and having a backup of the files before changing them. A zip file is an easy way, using tools like 7zip I can also do just store images into a file container, because compressing images will not really save storage. And after processing I can delete the container.

Regards
          Nils

Comment

Working...
          X