Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win XP moves files faster than win 7 and 8 using Irfan move function.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win XP moves files faster than win 7 and 8 using Irfan move function.

I just turned on an older XP machine and used the move function (both F7 and dragging in thumbnail view) and I was surprised that the move was instantaneous. On my Win 7 and Win 8 machines there is a delay depending on how many files there are.
    I used the old version of Irfanview and then updated to the newest versions and it was still blistering fast. Bad news is there were some errors in the names when moved.
    Question is, do the newer windows versions use something like verify which slows down the move process?

I have heard that Win 8 solves some problems in the move routine in windows but I don't know how Irfanview does it. Maybe Irfanview is borrowing the move routine within windows which can explain it somehow.

And for the record, the XP machine is practically identical to the Win 7 machine hardware wise.
    Last edited by gmosc; 17.05.2015, 08:41 AM.

Speed when moving files will heavilly depend upon whether you're moving to same disk and partition or if the file destination is located on another disk or partition.
    If you move files within same partition, it's practically the same operation as renaming the files.
    If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

Only moving to a sub folder...

The moving I'm doing is always to a sub folder so it is always the same disk or SD card or tablet memory (dell venue pro8)
      So yes the only process that is happening is renaming the files as they are moved to the new sub folder.
      I use the Irfanview function of sorting by orientation then I move the landscape pictures to a sub folder called wide.
      I have 2 monitors and one is standing on it's side to view portrait orientation pictures.

And the speed difference is incredible. I am not exaggerating that the XP move to the sub folder is instant whereas the more modern Win 7 and 8 machines are obviously thinking about the process, which makes me think that there is a error check (comparison of the original to the "copy" that is going on).

I'm tempted to think that the Irfanview on the XP machine is simply renaming wheras the other machines are literally reading then writing to a new physical location on the disks.
      I am moving several hundred at a time.

I really like the portrait/landscape sort function given my double monitor setup.
      Last edited by gmosc; 17.05.2015, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Moving 250 images (1.55 Gbytes) takes about 7 seconds here. Using Windows Explorer to cut and paste takes about 3 seconds.

It's not exactly slow, but it's not instantaneous either, so I guess it is making some checks to confirm the file integrity after moving. If you previously found some problems with filenames in XP then it seems that the checks are necessary.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes, the checking seems necessary.
          And to be clear, I don't know how to program, but from what little knowledge I've gathered it seems programmers use routines, or calls, in an operating system rather than program everything within their own program. So the calls for moving are windows routines I assume.

Comment

When moving to another subfolder witin same partition, the speed should not be determined by the size of the files, but rather by the shear number of files. In adition, NTFS permissions and encryption might affect speed (haven't seen that actually being tested out).
            If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

I have repeated bhikkhu Pesala's test on a little faster win7/64 computer, and moving 250 images (1,53 GB) still took 2-3 seconds. Similar results with 64-bit IV version (a rather old one, but I don't believe it really matters in this case). Moving them in windows explorer seems instantaneous.

I have also revived an old XP-based computer, and although everything happens a kind of slowly, moving files with thumbnails viewer definitely is faster than in windows 7. I suppose this is windows-related. I also did notice problems with non-ascii folder names on XP, that might get worse with unicode plugin enabled. (Creating subfolders as an example.) No problems with non-ascii filenames though.
              IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Working...
              X