No announcement yet.

How can I mark Files for Deletion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved How can I mark Files for Deletion?

I love irfan view.
    I often use it.

One thing that I do, for example is select pictures for a blog that I have, or for printing a calendar.
    When I do this, it means for example that I have 100 pictures, and I want to keep 10 of them.

i usually do something like: copy-paste the whole folder, than start up looking at pictures one by one (full size / screen size) and press
    1. delete, enter, space (delete means i don't like the pic, enter is the "are you sure you want to delete", and space is "off to the next picture")
    or
    2. space ("off to the next one")

I was wondering if there is an easier way to do this. "Mark" the pictures somehow, and delete what I don't like, after finishing the folder.
    I do not like the idea of doing this using thumbnails, because for example when I have 3 pictures of the same face, I need to select the face that looks the best, and details like this are not visible with thumbnails.
    I was also thinking about "remembereing" somehow the name of the picture, but if all my pictures are named like : 2015-05-18_170313.png then it will be pretty hard to do this

Thanks in advance

Hi. I'll suggest that you copy the files you find to a "secure folder", and then delete all the other images.

Remember that once you've selected directory (1) in the list of folders to copy files, you only need to press F8 and 1 in order to copy the file. It's really fast - actually you cannot make it any faster without using an Auto Hotkey script (a dirty method to emulate hotkeys, but it works).
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.05.2015, 10:53 PM. Reason: Fixed typos and obscrure acronmyn AHK
    If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

There is a feature in Irfanview to mark selected image files in a folder by pressing letter X. You can do this in the main Viewer window (but not in Full Screen).
      When you have selected those you want, you press Shift+Q which shows the selected files in the Thumbnail viewer. By double clicking the first thumbnail you can display the main Viewer window again and browse through just the selected files. Unfortunately you cannot then mark the selected files to filter down to a subset of those so the functionality is a bit limited.

If you want to list selected image files you can instead use the Slideshow dialog feature. Before you start browsing press W to open the Slideshow dialog and remove all files from the existing list. Close the Slideshow dialog and start browsing. To select a displayed image press F4 which adds it to the slideshow list. You can select using F4 in the main Viewer window or Full screen or Thumbnails and from different folders. When you have finished selecting press W again to re-open the Slideshow dialog and see all your selected files and if you want to keep them you can save the list as a text file.

Comment

Originally posted by Swoosh View Post
        I love irfanView.
        Please fill in your forum profile to tell us which version you're using.

I moved your thread from the Site Feedback forum to the IrfanView Support forum where it belongs.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Sprintdriver View Post
          ... F8 and 1 ....
          I didn't know about this one
          I like it a lot

Thanks!
          Last edited by Swoosh; 15.06.2015, 09:27 AM. Reason: i forgot "Thanks"

Comment

Working...
          X