Spontaneous exit from slideshow after a few seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Spontaneous exit from slideshow after a few seconds

This problem has recently started happening to me. I will start a slideshow and within a few seconds, it will simply exit back to the regular Irfanview screen. Sometimes quite quickly; sometimes after maybe four seconds.

It's not consistent -- one day it will happen and other day it will not.

I'm using 4.38 on Windows 7 Professional (64 bit).

Strangest thing. I've tried it building a list of pictures from different directories of different sizes but that doesn't seem to matter. At first I thought it was due to using a huge directory with a long list of files, but that doesn't seem to be the cause.

Possible explanation

I think perhaps my system has been low on resources / memory when this has occurred. Probably some system call is failing and Irfanview just drops out of slideshow mode. Better than crashing!

Comment

Wow. This just started happening again to me. And this time it's very persistent, and I have plenty of resources (memory). Now using IrfanView 4.44 64 bit (also tried 32 bit; no different) on Windows 10.

Comment

Thinking that there might have been something screwy in my settings, I renamed my i_view32.ini and i_view64.ini files and tried again. Still broken! And it happens 100% of the time now. After about five seconds, it exits slideshow mode automatically. Normally, I use the (poorly named) "Automatic after mouse/keyboard input" setting, so there should not be any sort of five second timeout. As a test, I tried both the "Automatic after 5.00 seconds" and "Random after 5.00 seconds" settings -- didn't fix it. In fact, it would wait about 5 seconds, advance to the next picture and immediately exit. So the 5 second timer for "next picture" would kick in, then apparently the mysterious "exit slideshow after 5 seconds + a bit" timer would kick in.

Comment

It's almost impossible to fix bugs that cannot be reproduced. Presumably, no one responded before because no one else is seeing this behaviour.

Try cleaning your keyboard and check that the Escape key is not stuck down, or try another keyboard.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Appears to be a software conflict

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            It's almost impossible to fix bugs that cannot be reproduced. Presumably, no one responded before because no one else is seeing this behaviour.

Try cleaning your keyboard and check that the Escape key is not stuck down, or try another keyboard.
            The computer in question is a laptop, so even though I could attach an external keyboard, I can't detach the built-in keyboard which was a potential (though unlikely) source of spurious keyboard or mouse input.

Instead, I installed a utility called QiPress which would display all keyboard / mouse activity. There was nothing when IrfanView would exit slideshow mode.

At this point, I suspected software and began exiting / killing various programs and bloatware. Initially I carefully tracked what I killed, but they were having no effect. So I started killing programs in groups -- and eventually seem to have fixed the problem. Sadly, I don't yet know specifically which program it was. My suspicion is either an Intel wifi adapter app (notoriously annoying) or an NVidia graphics app. If / when I figure out what i was I will update the post.

Comment

I have resolved the thread as "No Bug" for now, as it seems unlikely to be a bug in IrfanView. If your findings indicate otherwise, send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan (Help, About IrfanView), and let us know. I will then update the thread.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Similar problems have been reported in the past. The last one I can find is here which also gives a link to another.
                I am afraid that there were no solutions, but something said may prove helpful.

Comment

Working...
                X