Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed IV 4.4 a jpg is now a jp2

XP 32B … Irfanview 4.4 and plugin ??
    After updating to 4.4 … A jpg is now seen by Irfanview as a jp2 file ????
    I customize my icons.dll file and edit my irfanview registry file types to customize my R Click context menus.

I had to change my icons.dll file so a jp2 (icon.dll,13) now looks like a jpg icon (icon.dll,14)
    I also had to edit my Irfanview Registry for a jp2 to customize my R Click context options for a jpg.

W7 64B
    After updating to 4.4 .... I had to edit the registry same as XP to change the context menu for a jpg
    If I try to save as a jp2 .. I get the error .. Can’t load plugin JPEG2.DLL
    Can’t edit icons in W7 or higher …
    I sure wish you guys could get it so I could show icons (customized) on my desktop instead of those stupid micro-miniature thumbnails that Microsoft calls an icon in W7 and up without disabling my Thumbnail exploring ... (but this is another story)
    Last edited by Noyb; 05.08.2015, 05:21 PM.

Probably I am missing something, but how is this a bug in IrfanView? What I understand is that you modified the icons.dll for an earlier version and it no longer works with a later version? Looking at my plugins folder I don't see a JPEG2.DLL only one named JPEG2000.DLL

Please check, and if you're sure it's a bug forward a report directly to Irfan Skiljan. It's beyond my knowledge to tell whether it is a bug or not. Then please report back so that I can close this report as resolved one way or another.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

If I understand correctly, this is the problem:

Click image for larger version

Name:	iv_icons.png
Views:	1
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	81310

Both jp2 and jpg files get the same (jp2) icon in explorer, when you choose "Use different icons", although icons.dll contains separate icons for these two formats (no. 13 and 14).
      Last edited by Jacal; 05.08.2015, 07:03 PM.
      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

The problem occurred after the update but before I changed anything .. in either XP32 or W764, I had the wrong icon.
        My reg edits for a jpg would would not work either.
        I have to reg edit a jp2 to change the context menu for a jpg.

I can see this in the registry, a jpg thinks it is a jp2 and uses Icon,13...
        A jpg uses icon,14 ... but as near as I can tell right now .. Nothing thinks it is a jpg.

I've been doing this for years on many past versions .... I don't think I'm doing anything wrong
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Noyb; 05.08.2015, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	iv_icons2.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	81313

On Win7/64 now I have Irfan View JP2 File (.JPG) and Irfan View JP2 File (.jp2) file types, but "open with" context menus are still different and correct. JPG is not checked on the IV list of associated extesions, no matter how many times I 'associate' it, in admin mode or in Windows settings. I'm currently using 64-bit version as default viewer, but 'associating' jpg with 32-bit version gives the same results. I have temporarily uninstalled 32-bit version to avoid further complications.

It looks there is something wrong here, but I think we could wait for more confirmation, Irfan is currently most likely busy resolving problems with his server.
          IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

"Open With" is different than what I'm doing by customizing the R Click context menu by editing the registry.
            I can tell by how I edited the registry that a jpg and a jp2 are both using the jp2 Irfanview registry ..
            [the (jp2) notation on the Photoshop choice] ... but have different other choices ????
            So what you're seeing is probably the same problem.
            This will also effect the Icon selections in XP.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Noyb; 06.08.2015, 01:08 AM.

Comment

This might become a bug report, so I am avoiding editing the registry. But I still think we need confirmation from more users, since there might be other, unknown factors involved.

I currently only have my main PC at hands, but I have IV 4.4/64 also installed on a w7/64 virtual machine, a quite fresh installation with only half a dozen reliable programs on it. And there are no problems with jpg and jp2 file types there with IV 4.4/64 installed and associated with graphic extensions.

Another possible IV 4.4/64 issue that I would like you to try: IV thumbnail viewer crashes - since the beta version - when View is set to Details (and the chosen folder contains at least one file that should be displayed). Almost every time, but after some random settings changes it did work for half an hour, now it crashes again. I wasn't able to find the trigger and I can't make a bug report out of this, since on my virtual machine those crashes do not happen.

Good night!

-Mart
              IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                Probably I am missing something, but how is this a bug in IrfanView?
                Please check, and if you're sure it's a bug forward a report directly to Irfan Skiljan.
                Irfanview thinks a jpg is a Jp2 ... and Jacal has also confirmed.
                How do I forward this to Irfan ... or do you do that ??

Comment

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]4157[/ATTACH]

On Win7/64 now I have Irfan View JP2 File (.JPG) and Irfan View JP2 File (.jp2) file types, but "open with" context menus are still different and correct. JPG is not checked on the IV list of associated extesions, no matter how many times I 'associate' it, in admin mode or in Windows settings. I'm currently using 64-bit version as default viewer, but 'associating' jpg with 32-bit version gives the same results. I have temporarily uninstalled 32-bit version to avoid further complications.

It looks there is something wrong here, but I think we could wait for more confirmation, Irfan is currently most likely busy resolving problems with his server.
                  Originally posted by Noyb View Post
                  "Open With" is different than what I'm doing by customizing the R Click context menu by editing the registry.
                  I can tell by how I edited the registry that a jpg and a jp2 are both using the jp2 Irfanview registry ..
                  [the (jp2) notation on the Photoshop choice] ... but have different other choices ????
                  So what you're seeing is probably the same problem.
                  This will also effect the Icon selections in XP.
                  I'm having the exact same issue here. I'm using Irfanview 64-bit v4.40 on Windows 7, 64-bit.

Screenshot:
                  Last edited by dazed; 11.08.2015, 01:50 PM. Reason: added screenshot

Comment

I have set a other ico for the *.jpg to -> camera-jpg.ico (mostly Camera pictures)
                    IrfanView 4.40 64 bit ignore this ico, but when I set the *.jp2 to camera-jpg.ico,
                    all the *.jpg are shown in the explorer as camera-jpg.ico
                    There is a little bug in the allocation.

Thanks, Marti

Comment

A related bit of advise

Originally posted by Noyb View Post
                      ... I have to reg edit a jp2 ...
                      Since you seem to not mind editing the registry, but of course it's a bit messy, may I jump in and advise this little program http://defaultprogramseditor.com/

Which is a GUI to make changes to various defaults in a elegant way. Or even add new entries.

I find it to be a great utility. And I'm not in any way associated with the maker BTW, I just discovered it one day when I had an issue and I have been very happy with it ever since. It even makes a backup of the registry entries for you if you choose so.

I hope the admins don't get angry and let this slightly tangential comment slip through , because I think it's a good utility to have when dealing with issues described here, and well to the point.

P.S. I use it on windows7, but I assume it works just as well on later versions.
                      Last edited by Dabble; 24.08.2015, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Dabble, I know this program, it works well on windows 7 and probably also on later versions, although it hasn't been updated for almost five years. I have actually fixed jpg/jp2 related issues with this NirSoft tool.
                        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
                          Dabble, I know this program, it works well on windows 7 and probably also on later versions, although it hasn't been updated for almost five years. I have actually fixed jpg/jp2 related issues with this NirSoft tool.
                          I love nirsoft stuff, but in terms of GUI it's not always that advanced, and I prefer my suggestion in this instance, but as you say it's pretty old and not updated, but as long as it works fine updates are of less concern.
                          Thanks for the suggestion though, for people that don't know nirsoft it's also one of those great things to learn about IMHO. (Even when some silly viruskillers don't like utilities that adjust systems settings and/or show microsoft keys and then flag them as 'dangerous', sigh.)
                          And it's good for people to have options in software selection.

Comment

Will this bug fixed in a coming release? It seems pretty major to me that IV mislabels the most common picture format...

Comment

Try the attached test version.
                              Attached Files
                              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                              X