Browse with Irfanview (Windows Explorer context menu) broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Browse with Irfanview (Windows Explorer context menu) broken

Hi, just tried the new version(s, x86 & x64) and the 'Browse with Irfanview' in the Windows Explorer context menu is broken.

Attached is a screenshot.
    Attached Files

Did you install the updated plugins for 4.40?

Did you activate the Unicode Plugin?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Did you install the updated plugins for 4.40?

Did you activate the Unicode Plugin?
      Yes, using new plugins and unicode plugin activated. Running Irfanview 4.40 on Windows 7.

Does anyone know of a reliable download link to the older stable version (3.80)?
      Last edited by lister; 08.08.2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Try oldapps.com
        IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

Originally posted by RottenImp View Post
          Try oldapps.com
          Meant to write 4.38. Oldapps.com is having a few issues at present but I found old installers on a hard drive.

Comment

unknown file format empty/damaged file or file not found

Hi, I also observe that bug in v4.40 (Vista Ultimate 32 bit, CZ locale). It has nothing to do with Unicode names, it also shows on purely ASCII named folders such as c:\temp\aaa\. See the picture. Then, after I click OK, it shows thumbnails in one folder up. In this example, c:\temp\.

Seems that something changed in IrfanView cmdline recently but was not reflected in the shell command.

You can fix that manually: open Regedit, go to:
            HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shel l\Browse with &IrfanView\command

there is a text:
            "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" "%1 /thumbs"

change it to: (see the quotes)
            "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" "%1" /thumbs
            Attached Files
            Last edited by kolacl; 14.08.2015, 07:58 PM. Reason: system specs

Comment

I am also seeing this v4.40 bug on XP SP3 32-bit. Tried a variety of folders (short paths with no spaces, containing only a few valid image files) to no avail.

Thank you very much kolacl. This registry hack worked for me.

Comment

hello, thanks for the key name.
                i solved the same issue with this string

"C:\Programmi\IrfanView\i_view64.exe" %1 /thumbs

a.p.
                Last edited by andrea palazzi; 23.08.2015, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Yes there has definitely been a change. After all these years Irfan appears to have made the Thumbnails shortcut work. Now you can drop a folder onto that shortcut and the Thumbnails viewer opens with that folder displayed (instead of the root menu). You can also drop a file onto the Thumbnails shortcut and the file opens in the normal Browser window with the Thumbnails window on top and displaying the folder.

How is that relevant to this thread? Well to do it he must have changed the /Thumbs command line option from the order it has always been up to now i.e. "IV Program name" "File or Folder name" /Thumbs to "IV Program name" /Thumbs "File or Folder name". He presumably forgot that in doing so he would upset that Shell command.

I see that he has not updated the Help file or "Options.txt" so it was probably one of those good ideas that did not get fully implemented before issuing v4.40

Comment

Originally posted by andrea palazzi View Post
                    i solved the same issue with this string

"C:\Programmi\IrfanView\i_view64.exe" %1 /thumbs
                    Please, do enclose the directory name %1 in quotes ("%1"), as shown by kolacl. If the name contains spaces, the command would fail.

Comment

Version 4.41 (32-bit) still contains this bug. After upgrading to this version I had to re-apply the fix proposed by kolacl (see above).

Luckily I had stored the fix last time as file "Fix - Browse with Irfanview.REG":
                      Code:
                      Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\Browse with &IrfanView\command]
                      @="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\IrfanView\\i_view32.exe\" \"%1\"  /thumbs"
                      Is there a reliable way to tell the author?

Comment

Anyone can submit bug reports directly to the author. His email is given in Help, About.
                        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I see that the help file has now been updated in v4.41 and, as I suspected, you can now use either i_view32.exe c:\test\ /thumbs
                          or i_view32.exe /thumbs c:\test\ as a Command Line to open the thumbnails browser at directory c:\test\
                          That is why the Thumbnails shortcut now works when you drop a folder/directory onto the icon. The name dropped on to the shortcut is always put at the end, so the new second alternative is needed for it to work.
                          I normally update Irfanview from the Zip file download and have not used the exe installer for the last few versions, so it was no surprise to me that I got an error message when I tried the "Browse with Irfanview" option in the Windows Explorer context menu.

I used Regedit and modified the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shel l\Browse with &IrfanView\command key to the new alternative format too;

"C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" " /thumbs" %1

and that works fine.
                          You do not need to put quotes around the %1 if it is after /thumbs because the folder name is passed straight to Irfanview which can handle any spaces.
                          You may of course have to correct \Program Files\ in the Command line above to wherever Irfanview actually is.
                          Last edited by Mij; 05.12.2015, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                            Anyone can submit bug reports directly to the author. His email is given in Help, About.
                            Surprise! So I wrote an e-mail (pointing to this thread here) and already got this answer from Irfan:

No bug

This is already fixed in 4.41 ... BUT as the dialog text (Properties->Extensions) says: you MUST start IrfanView in admin mode in order to change some options

=> right mouse click on IrfanView, see the menu .... run as admin ... Properties->Extensions.

Just tested again, the Registry text is correct again.

"No bug"? Really? After some testing I come to the conclusion: YES and NO.
                            • YES: The action proposed above does write the correct command string to the registry and fixes the problem discussed here. (Note that double-quotes are coded as \" in .REG files.)
                              Code:
                              [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\Browse with &IrfanView\command]
                              @="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\IrfanView\\i_view32.exe\" \"%1\" /thumbs"
                            • NO: After a re-install or fresh install of version 4.41 the registry contains a command string with a misplaced double-quote (" shown here as \")
                              Code:
                              @="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\IrfanView\\i_view32.exe\" \"%1 /thumbs\""
                              If the installer (setup program) inserted the correct string in the first place (it already has admin rights) then no manual property change would be necessary. Looks like a trivial change to me.

Anyway, many thanks to Irfan for writing such a useful piece of software!

Comment

If the installer (setup program) inserted the correct string in the first place (it already has admin rights) then no manual property change would be necessary. Looks like a trivial change to me.
                              I agree 100%. Today I did a fresh installs of version 4.44 32-bit on a laptop and 4.44 64-bit on a desktop using the .exe installer each time. It's still writing the registry value incorrectly with the missing quotation mark, such that "Browse with IrfanView" doesn't work without going through the extra steps outlined above. IMHO, it would be a good idea to go ahead and fix it in the installer.

Comment

Working...
                              X