Irfanview 4.40 auto adjust color bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed Irfanview 4.40 auto adjust color bug

I have noticed when using Irfanview 4.40 that on a regular basis when I use auto-adjust colors, either on the whole picture or sampling a part as basis for the correct, it goes wrong and I get an ugly speckling of blue dots.
    The effect occurs rather unpredictably but frequently, depending on the content of the picture and the precise area used for sampling. It seems to happen often with noisy digital pictures, of various sources (so it's not caused by a complimentary colored logo or such).
    The speckling seems to use various hues of blue but always blue, and on pictures which do not have much blue natively.

After determining that the auto-adjust colors function uses the 'effects' plugin in the plugin folder as basis I tried it with the effects plugin from 4.38 and the error did not occur. Unfortunately the effects plugin is also responsible for some other new things in 4.40 like the anti-aliasing on fine rotation, so using the old effects plugin robs me of the new stuff that does work.

I am on a windows 7 install with an (older) i7 and plenty of RAM, and as I said it's a new issue since 4.40.

Are you using the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version?

We are likely to need some sample images to reproduce the issue.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Samples number one and two:

Visit this WikiLeaks page and download wallpaper wall3.jpg or wall9.jpg.

Auto-adjusting colours produces "ugly speckling of blue dots" with IV 4.40 32- and 64-bit, but not with older versions. I will try to find something distinctive in this images and perhaps provide more samples.

Good night!

Update:

This beautiful lady, Rachel, is sample No. 3:

(I, of course, don't own the copyrights for this image, I found it following this Gimp guide.)

Update 2:

A nice dragon.
      Last edited by Jacal; 13.08.2015, 01:41 AM.
      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Thank you Jacal. I have forwarded the images to Irfan.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Irfan Skiljan replied already and sent me the updated Effects.dll and Executables for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Extract the attached archives to the appropriate installations. Effects.dll overwrites the previous version in the plugins folder, iview32.exe or iview64.exe overwrites the previous version in the IrfanView installation folder.
          Attached Files

Comment

Impressive, fixed during the night!
            IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Irfan Skiljan is pretty amazing. I think he's off on his holidays, so burning the midnight oil to fix things before he leaves. I am sure he has earned a break.

Comment

Thanks you very much for covering for me while I was elsewhere Jacal and supplying the needed examples and additional info.

And many thanks to irfan for the quick fix of course!

And thanks to Bhikkhu Pesala too of course, it's nice and satisfying to see things handled so clean and effective

Comment

Thanks to Dabble and Bhikkhu Pesala for reporting and Irfan for fixing this bug. I thought of writing to Irfan directly (had some correspondence before), but then remembered the forum. Good to see that the bug has already been reported and fixed.
                  However, the unfixed versions are still available from the homepage of Irfanview :-(.
                  Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.67/64
                  Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

I suspect that it takes a lot of work to upload new packages to all of the download sites. I am not sure if it ever happens.

You can find a PDF plugin that was updated after 4.40 on the plugins page.

Comment

I see that the Effects plugin DLL is now available on the official plugin page for plugins updated after 4.40.

Comment

Working...
                      X