Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost ability to show .MOV & .MPx files..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost ability to show .MOV & .MPx files..

I may have deleted some wrong files..

All I can say, when I attempt to display any .MOV or .MPx files, I get Irfanview's "Error: Windows can't play this file"
    ".. Can't create ideo player of Unknown codec." etc etc..

Irfanview had been working well for all videos for the many years I've been using it.

If I attempt to use Quicktime.exe on a video.. I get "can't be found" ??

I have quicktime 7 on my Windows 7 system.
    CMD line> assoc .mov gives me .mov=Quicktime.mov,
    > assoc .mp4 gives me .mp4=QuickTime.mp4

& ftype gives me:
    QuickTime.mp3=C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QuickTimePlayer.exe "%1"
    QuickTime.mp4=C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QuickTimePlayer.exe "%1"
    QuickTime.mov=C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QuickTimePlayer.exe "%1"
    I assume these are the typical settings?

Obviously the interface between Irfanview & quicktime got hosed. What got lost? What needs to be looked at? Reinstalled?

I'm lost,
    Bob K.

Not something I ever do, but I also found that I got an error when trying to play and MP4 file in IrfanView 4.40.

Double-click plays the clip in Windows Media Player.
    Attached Files
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Works for me, codec pack from cccp-project.net + LAV Filters 0.65 (maybe I updated something more).
      IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

Originally posted by RottenImp View Post
        Works for me, codec pack from cccp-project.net + LAV Filters 0.65 (maybe I updated something more).
        That cccp codecs pack didn't help.. Installed & still no-go.

That attached thumbnail image up above is what I get.

I think I can eliminate Irfanview as the problem. When I use Quicktime.exe on a video - that "File can't be found" error is that QT can't find the Codec!
        -- Not can't find the video file! Irfanview is merely echoing that error. When I open it with Microsoft Media Player, it works..

I had uninstalled some never used video software a few days ago, so that's what I suspect removed the Codecs..
        I've lost the Codecs only for my videos (music, youtube video, etc all work)..
        Where are they stored? Where can I obtain replacements?

I'd uninstalled and reinstalled QT, so that didn't help.

Bob K
        Last edited by BobK; 15.08.2015, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobK View Post
          .... I think I can eliminate Irfanview as the problem. ... Bob K
          I was wrong... Irfanview is causing the problem.. at least half the problem

Both MP4 & MOV are displayed by Microsoft Media Player. Even when I have those videos displayed through a browser.
          Irfanview does display the MP4, but I get that same error (above) with a .MOV video.

I cleared the checks in Options>Properties/Settings>extentions> MOV and MP4 to be blank
          I then reset the ASSOC .MOV=.mov=WMP11.AssocFile.MOV <--- which SHOULD hand it off to Windows Media to show
          and reset the ASSOC for .MP4 similarly.

Irfanview passes off the MP4 to Windows Media, but the MOV causes an error.
          When the ASSOC's are reexamined, .MP4 is still as I set it (to Windows)

But Irfanview RESETS the ASSOC .MOV back to ".mov=irfanview.mov" !!!!

Now it's possible Irfanview is missing the CODEC for .MOV files, but with the box unchecked, why does it change it back from Media!?!

I uninstalled my 64bit Irfanview and the addon pack (they were the latest), and installed the 32bit and reinstalled the pack (no 64bit package?),
          and the problem still occurs ..

Bob K.
          Last edited by BobK; 17.08.2015, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Try switch files extensions: mp4 container based on mov.
            IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

Could someone else report this bug to Irfan Skiljan (See Help menu, About for his email).
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Bobkov.
                What video options do you have set in Properties/Settings?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Quicktime.png
Views:	1
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	81326

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                  Bobkov.
                  What video options do you have set in Properties/Settings?
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]4179[/ATTACH]
                  AH HA! I never looked at that option before!! Just ticked off or on the file extentions!!
                  I clicked on the "Use Quick Time for MOV/2GP/MP4/M4A/FLI/FLC files. if Quick Time installed" and the .MOV's now play...
                  BUT -- I have the EXTENTION turned off!! The ASSOC value does NOT revert to Irfanview, but remains Microsoft Media

If I "START" videoname at the command line, because ASSOC .mov & .mp4 do not point to Irfanview, the "START" command works.
                  AND - Now Irfanviewt passes MP4 to Quick time AND THAT FAILS ARGHHH!!

Oh what tangled webs we weave, when first we do programming!! ..

Comment

Let me clarify the situation with regard to file associations. Since Windows Vista you have not been able to change file associations from Irfanview Properties/Options unless you Run Irfanview as Administrator (right click the Irfanview icon and select "Run as Administrator"). This is not an Irfanview bug it is a "feature" of Windows introduced at that time. The intention is to prevent programs changing registry entries such as file associations at will and to protect against malware potentially introducing viruses into your computer by hijacking programs like Irfanview. So be aware that if you do run Irfanview or any other program as an administrator you are vulnerable again to those things that Windows is trying to protect you against. The safest way of setting file associations these days is by selecting "Default programs" from the Windows Start menu, or you can right click on a file of the type you want to change, select "Open with.." and "Choose default program" there.

I do not myself use either Quick time or .MOV files so cannot offer any help on what are the best settings to use. I suggest you set up the associations you want with programs that you know will open them and then play with the IV settings to find something that works when you come to a video.

For myself, I never associate any video files with Irfanview. It is primarily an image viewer and the video functions are all carried out by plugins. I do have a few short video clips mixed in with images in some picture folders though and find it useful that IV plays them when I happen to browse there within the folder. Do not forget that you can always open a video file that is not associated by dropping it onto the IV icon or shortcut, or by dropping it into an open IV window. You have a number of alternatives to double clicking.

Comment

I find that I do have some .MOV and some .MP4 files on my computer and both play with no problems using either the Internal player with Direct show selected or the External player with Microsoft media player selected.
                      If I select "Use Quicktime..", I get the message "QuickTime error. Can't open movie". A bit misleading maybe because the real problem is that I do not have Quicktime installed.

Both file types are associated with Windows Media player and play fine in that too. I have the K-lite Codecs pack installed as well as what comes with Media Player though. My setup is as shown in my profile data to the left, except that I now have Irfanview 32-bit version 4.40 installed.

Comment

Installed the 64 bit Irfanview in a second directory and added the plugins for the 64 bit. .MOV file will play with my old 32 bit version, but not with the 64 bit.
                        Poking around in the directories, I found both versions have an identical program: " IV_Player.exe". This program does play the .MOV Can Irfanview use this, or is it a separate pgm?
                        From earlier posts, I believe Quicktime is used to play videos? Well, if so, 32bit works & 64 bit doesn't - so it's not quicktime.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                        X