Thread: Wanted, advice on location tagging.

IV Beginner
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3

Default Wanted, advice on location tagging.

I am working with a lot of scanned images, some quite old. I want to add tags giving the location (often my best guess). I am using the core IPTC tags, not XMP.

I think I understand the Country, Province-State, and City tags. (Well, Province-State seems a little loose, the IPTC Guidelines say "the subregion of a country–usually referred to as either a State or Province", so it is not clear to me that it has to be an officially designated area.) There are sets of photographs where I can't specify a city/town/village/etc., but I can specify a somewhat less specific area ("along the Eire canal", "between Lyon and Grenoble" for examples). Is it considered reasonable to use the Sub-Location tag, without a City and or Province-State tag in these cases? A few pictures I may not even be sure of the country ("between Nelson British Columbia and Grand Coulee Washington").

Does anyone have any thoughts and advice on this matter?

IV Beginner
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3

No suggestions/comments yet? Just another example, French regions, which contain two or more departments. Sort of like "New England" or "Pacific Northwest". Ideas anyone?????

Thread Information