Unable to open PDF's in Irfanview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Unable to open PDF's in Irfanview

I have Irfanview version 4.40 32 bit installed, the plugins version 4.4, also 32 bit, and Ghostscript AFPL version 8.54 installed. When I click on Open, Irfanview cannot detect PDF files. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help. I have 78 images I need to extract from 20 pages and I shudder to think of the time it will take if I can't use this process. Thank you.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 08.09.2015, 09:46 AM.

If your aim is to extract images from PDF files, try PDF-XChange. I am sure it will prove far quicker and more suitable for this task.

However, I don't think you don't need Ghostscript if you installed the plugins.

Check in Properties, Plugins and enable the PDF Plugin.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 08.09.2015, 09:51 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Solved

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      If your aim is to extract images from PDF files, try PDF-XChange. I am sure it will prove far quicker and more suitable for this task.

However, I don't think you don't need Ghostscript if you installed the plugins.

Check in Properties, Plugins and enable the PDF Plugin.
      Thank you, I solved it. I did have the PDF plugin enabled, but it still would not detect PDFs. I had been navigating to my PDFs with Irfanview. I had an aha, and right clicked on the PDF and then chose open with Irfanview. It worked. I will however look at PDF-XChange
      Last edited by ivorybow; 08.09.2015, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Big face palm!!! I had it set to open graphics files, instead of all files. Now it sees the PDFs. Thanks so much, your answer caused me to look a little deeper. It works perfectly now. I will also try advice from user Skippybox " Properties>Plugins>Other plugins>Postscript options. In fact, a new antialiasing feature was added to make rendering even better. Increase the DPI to get better resolution from the rasterized image."

Comment

That's a funny one, at least you actually had no real issue, but yet it was the thing I have run into recently. And googling doesn't do anything to me, because all I found are the threads similar to this one of yours, where is actually no problem at all. Before Irfanview, I was using this https://edit-pdf.pdffiller.com/ because I didn't see any sense with getting any software when all you need is possible to do with the web app and it's much faster. But now, when I need to work with more than 10k of documents simultaneously, I see the sense

Comment

Working...
          X