Can't decode DJVU (IV 4.40, Win10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't decode DJVU (IV 4.40, Win10)

I use IrfanView to view/print DJVU files created by other programs, so I have a collection of them. I upgraded to Win10 at the end of July, and the new IrfanView 4.40 shortly thereafter. I installed both 32-bit and 64-bit IrfanView, and the plugins.

After that, I observed that 64-bit IV wouldn't show DJVU files, but that was not too serious, because 32-bit IV would, I just had to remember to "Open With" 32-bit IV, rather than simply click on the file.

But today, I made a new DJVU file and clicked it, and it failed to open in 64-bit IV, so then I did the "Open With" dance, and it failed to open in 32-bit IV. The file was made using the same process that other DJVU files successfully opened by IV in the past was made... I tried one of the older ones, predating all the updates, and it failed to open in 32-bit IV.

I uninstalled 64-bit IV, and it seems to have uninstalled the 64-bit IV and the 32-bit plugins, leaving the 64-bit plugins behind.

I reinstalled the 32-bit plugins, and deleted the C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins directory.

Still, 32-bit IV would not open the DJVU file.

I uninstalled 32-bit IV, and reinstalled IV 4.38. It won't open the file either.

Now I'm wondering if this is a problem with a recent Windows 10 update... not that I'm aware of any Windows 10 updates that happened today, but there may have been some since I was last successful opening a DJVU file in 32-bit IV 4.40.

I don't see anything unusual in the Registry, regarding IrfanView, but I'm no expert in what to expect there, other than the file associations.

More information discovered... it isn't IrfanView alone.

It is a combination of IrfanView and Dropbox, or IrfanView and Dropbox and the [DJVU] plugin. IV 32-bit opens DJVU files fine, except when they are in Dropbox-managed folders, then it gets the decode error.

I don't know how the plugin works, or the protocol between IrfanView and the plugin, or whether IrfanView opens the file, looks inside to verify it really is a DJVU file before it calls the DJVU plugin, or if it just simply calls it. If the former, there could be some interference if Dropbox notices that IV just closed the file, and starts to synchronize it (even though it hasn't changed, presumably, but does IV open in read/write mode?)

I suppose an anti-virus could pop in there too, adding an extra potential delay.

Meantime here comes the plugin, and it can't open the file because of the Dropbox/AntiVirus delay? AntiVirus alone doesn't bother it, though, but Dropbox sure does.

In large part, this could be claimed to not be an IrfanView bug. On the other hand, it smacks of the sort of thing that could lead to Irfan pointing to Dropbox, and Dropbox pointing to AV, and AV pointing back to Irfan.

It would be nice if Irfan could debug this to the point of determining the sequence of IV actions regarding the file that lead up to the Decode error being reported, so that that sequence could be analyzed by the Dropbox people, to see if that would lead to interference by them (obviously it does, but it may also require AV interference to exacerbate the delay).

Comment

Send and email to Irfan Skiljan (Help, About) and see what he says. If he agrees that it's a bug, I will move the thread for you.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
      X