X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented Unicode paths to work on 64-bit Irfanview

Originally posted by http://www.irfanview.com/64bit.htm
    The Unicode [PlugIn] can't work on 64-bit
    It’s inconceivable that it “can't”, instead of “doesn't yet”, work in the 64-bit version of Irfanview.

Presumably there are some historical code complications why parsing file paths is even a plug-in, instead of a normal feature of a 21st century application.

But even so, I ask that Irfanview fully support loading files that have Unicode characters in their paths/names.
    Last edited by dante2; 18.10.2015, 08:34 AM.

I second this, I work with a LOT of Japanese files and directories. It's essential that unicode be supported.

Comment

If Unicode paths and directories are essential for your work, then use the 32-bit version. There is no good reason to use the 64-bit version unless you need to work with huge files. Obviously, porting all of the 32-bit plugins to work on 64-bit will take a lot of work, and would not be a high priority. There is no way can it be described as essential. The plugins are not developed by Irfan Skiljan.

* 2. ANSI2UNICODE.DLL - This PlugIn allows IrfanView (32-bit) to read filenames with Unicode characters. Thanks to Christophe Paris!

Advantages of IrfanView 32-bit over 64-bit version:

• Runs on a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
      • Loads all files/images for normal needs (max. RAM size is about 1.3 GB)
      • Needs less disc space
      • All PlugIns will work: not all PlugIns are ported (yet) to 64-bit (like OCR) and some 32-bit PlugIns must be still used in the 64-bit version, some with limitations (see the "Plugins32" folder)
      • The Unicode and many Adobe 8BF PlugIns can't work on 64-bit
      • The TWAIN drivers with 64-bit support are rare

I use the 32-bit version as my default viewer. I only ever use the 64-bit version for testing purposes. Anyone who really needs to work with images in the 25+ megapixel range would benefit from using the 64-bit version, otherwise there is no benefit.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 27.10.2015, 08:22 AM.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I asked Irfan Skiljan for the reasons about these Unicode paths. This is his reply:

Many of the IrfanView code is started in times without (good) Unicode API and it is a LOT of work needed to port it to Unicode
        => this is work for many weeks ... specially the testing => later.

=> all string functions in the code must be adjusted to work with unicode ... imagine several hundred calls for string operations ... and there are other things too
        So, please wait patiently for future improvements. He knows that people want everything to work in 64-bit too, but it is not a five minute job.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X